Medical Questions > Mental Health > Mental Conditions Forum

celexaI= wonder if this is what made her break up with me?

User Profile
Hello,

My girlfriend of two years recently broke up with me on sunday. She had been on antidepressents (celexa) for a week and I wonder if this is what made her break up with me. 3 weeks ago was our 2 year anniversary and she gave me a card explaining how much she loved me, and how this relationship is everything to her etc. So I just think that it is so random for her to do this. She kept saying its not me, and that she needs to be byherself. When I asked if there is a chance of making up she said her heads just not in it right now.

In our relationship she put in most of the effort for the second year while I basically took things for granted. I was not abusive, controling, or violent,but I was a jerk at times and really just changed that second year. Its just that despite I was a jerk, she loved me so much and would do anything for me so I find it so ironic that now she breaks up with me a week after antidepressants are being used. Could this be a real possibility?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion
|

User Profile
replied April 29th, 2011
Mental Conditions Answer A22495

Hello.

It will be erroneous to say antidepressants may have caused her to take the decision. What looks more probable is that she wants time and space to sort things out for her. She may be on a path to recovery from her depression. And often new insights start coming up. She may not be in a position to explain to you all that is going on in her head. However, you need to pay due respect to her decision and avoid searching for the cause of her decision.

There are more chances she might be telling you the truth that it's not you. This also gives a hint she needs space for herself. I hope you are able to cope up with the break up successfully. You can always present yourself to help her when it's needed.

Take care.

Abhijeet Deshmukh, MD

(This post is for the purpose of providing medical information and is not a substitute for a face-to-face consultation with a doctor. This post is not intended to give or rule out a diagnosis, create a doctor-patient relationship or replace an existing one. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please consult with your doctor or a qualified healthcare provider for diagnosis and treatment options)

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Mental Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.