Medical Questions > Lifestyle > Alternative Medicine Forum

Causes of sharp chest pains

I have a male friend who is having severe sharp pains that last one to three minutes. They come on very quickly and then go away very quickly. They start when he is relaxing and even when he is sleeping. They come in his chest or under his rib cage or his shoulder or his side. The first time this happened he went to ER for an ALL day exam, test, etc. and they sent him home with the diagnosis of: “There is nothing wrong with you.” He is still having these pains and they are now occurring every two to three days. The pain is so severe that he feels like vomiting, but hasn’t yet, and he breaks out in a sweat. I have searched the internet and can find nothing or am not searching with the right words. Does anyone know what it is or what’s causing this? Please help! We are desperate. Thank you.
Margaret
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 19th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
it could just be heart burn--take some antiacids and see what happens.
|

replied March 20th, 2008
Severe sharp 2-3 minute chest pains - not a heart attack!
He takes antacids all the time for his heartburn. Does heartburn go away in 2-3 minutes?
|

User Profile
replied March 20th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
huh i usually have it for about that long but the pain is usually quick and piercing.
|

replied April 27th, 2008
Natural solution to Heartburn
I know Heartburn can cause sometimes some very scary similiar heart attach like sharp pains. If you would like to try something really safe and natural, try pur theraputic grade Peppermint Oil.....Ingested, only a drop or two can make a huge difference.

Much safer than prescription and tums.....
|

User Profile
replied October 12th, 2008
Experienced User
Sounds to me like heartburn. How old is your friend? Also do the pains get worse when he breathes in?

If he is taking antacids and they are not working, tell him to go back to the doctor. They are obviously bothering him, and he shouldnt have to worry about them, it might be worth him going back, just to be reassured. If he still isn't happy then it is perfectly ok to ask for a second opinion.
|
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....