Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Muscular and Nerve Disorders Forum

Causes of radiating pain and tingling in the hands

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
Beginning 3 days ago i developed upper scapula pain followed by radiating pain down under side of arm from armpit to elbow with tin gling in both thumb and index finger on the right side. What could this be?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied December 14th, 2009
Muscular and Nerve Disorders Answer A8441
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out. Your concern is regarding the radiating pain that you are having on the upper scapula and the tingling in the thumb and index finger. There are two things which I can think of. Firstly, such pain and tingling are quite common in hands and especially thumb in patients of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. In this the median nerve is compressed at the wrist, leading to pain, paresthesias, and muscle weakness in the forearm and hand. Second possibility is of brachial neuritis. It is due to the involvement of the group of nerves exiting from the spinal vertebrae, called the brachial plexus. There is severe pain in the shoulder and arm which can radiate throughout the arm and parasthesias or tingling sensations are also present.

Various investigations like MRI (which you have already got done), x-ray chest, x-ray shoulder, electromyography, nerve conduction tests and nerve biopsy may be needed to confirm a diagnosis.

I sincerely advise you to consult a neurologist and discuss this with him. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Muscular and Nerve Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.