Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Headache and Migraines Forum

Causes of a headache and various treatments recommended

User Profile
I have suffered for nearly a month now with different symptoms effecting my head. It started off with a constant headache that lasted 3 days, every waking hour. It began as great pressure in my head, especially around the temple, and a numb/tingling feeling on the left side of my head and face. This lasted morning to night for about a week. I also had a crawling/tingling sensation on the left side of my head, towards the back and up top. The doctor suggested it would clear in a week. It did not and I still had this insane crawling feeling on my head, couple with dull headaches that would come and go. I returend to the doctors they suggested sinusitus and prescribed some kind of nose spray stereoid and ibuprofen. This did nothing, but the ibuprofen helped numb the headaches. A week later I returned and another doctor suggested I had a rash on my head, that was like echsma and prescribed Betnovate scalp application and Amitriptyline for the never ending crawling/tingling on my head.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 15th, 2010
Headache and Migraines Answer A10662

Given the data you provided (headache with tingling/itching sensation on the left side of the face and temple that lasted for almost a month, ibuprofen eased the symptoms a little), it cannot be determined for sure what caused the headache.

The itching sensation might be related to a sort of allergic reaction including eczema. However, eczema is usually associated with skin changes that can be easily recognized by a doctor.

The presence of the headache only on one side of the head might indicate that it was caused by a migraine. Migraine is associated with severe headaches, nausea and altered perception (increased sensitivity to light and/or sound). It seems that the latter symptoms did not appear in your case. This means that the condition is not so severe as it might be.

The therapy for a migraine is not clearly established yet, because the very causes and the mechanisms are not yet identified. However, certain patients report a decrease of the symptoms when taking non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (ibuprofen being one of them). Other patients find taking paracetamol useful. Caffeine is also reported to have a beneficial effect in certain patients.

You might want to visit a neurologist for a physical examination to exclude other conditions. Other medications such as: ergot alkaloids, serotonin agonists (sumatriptan) and specific forms of antidepressants might be recommended. Meanwhile, you might want to avoid certain of the well known triggers: physical or emotional stress, changes in sleeping patterns, bright lights and loud noises.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Headache and Migraines , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.