User Profile
Have you any suggestions as to what this might be, I think it has gone on long enough, I need to know what to do, I see my nurse on thursday 15th for blood tests, and the doctor again for results, Please help

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 15th, 2009
Digestive and Bowel Disorders Answer A5375
Current medical status: I have had diarrhoea for 14 days, the first two days i was sick, just bile, and dizzy, the doctor sent off a stool sample and it came back negative for bacteria, I have pain in my left side of abdomin, very windy, foul smelling stools and they are yellowy(like bile) / green . Every time i drink, i can feel it going into my stomach and around my intestine, i am only eating bland food, like toast ,potatoes and fish. occasionally i get pain under my ribs left side. when i belch i can taste bile.
Current medical treatment: The doctor has got me on metronidazole and metoclopramide since monday 12th january 2009, so far not working.

Your diarrhea is probably not caused by bacteria because the stool sample didn’t reveal anything. Metronidazole is an antibiotic that is given for treating anaerobic bacterial infections. You can’t expect positive effects from any antibiotic in only 2 days.

An intestinal infection is not the only reason that can cause diarrhea. You already have a condition, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) which could also cause the present diarrhea. Colon cancer and ulcerative colitis can also cause chronic diarrhea so if your present condition continues in the next few weeks you could request a colonoscopy.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.