Medical Questions > Nutrition > Nutrition Forum

Causes for being underweight

User Profile
hello;
sir i have too low weight i tried to gain eight many times but all invain. all i need is to gain weight in 2 months about 20 kg. i am getting very upset by this condition. as well as my sex desire is too much it about 9 times a week. how do i control this situation too. please answer explainery and give me nutrition suggestion by foods. i shall be very thank full to you.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 29th, 2010
Nutrition Answer A10961
There are many possible causes for being underweight. One of the most common is reduced intake of calories. You might reconsider whether you take enough calories with your meals. If you take enough calories, then you might have a medical problem.

For example, hyperfunction of the thyroid gland (hyperthyroidism) might cause weight loss. Bowel inflammation (bacterial or parasitical) might decrease the absorption of food. Anxiety, stress and anorexia or bulimia are all mental- related conditions that might affect the weight.

You might want to visit a family doctor or a general practitioner to check your health condition. A physical examination, including examination of the digestive system, is likely to be needed. A stool culture might be needed to detect any bacterial or parasitical inflammation.

If none is detected, then you might want to visit a nutritionist about the type of food that can be most easily found in your geographic location (location not provided). Simply, an increased and balanced intake of food rich in carbohydrates might increase your weight. In order to promote a healthy increase of your weight, instead of just putting on fatty tissue, you might also want to have regular exercises to develop your muscles. The increased intake of calories would then build the muscles instead of fatty tissue.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
What is the medical definition of obesity? How is obesity different than being overweight. Basic medical facts on obesity here....
We review the simple cause of obesity here, and help you evaluate whether or not you are at risk of becoming obese. ...
Click here for basic signs of weight gain, and information on when to seek medical help if you think that you are becoming overweight....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Nutrition , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.