Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Causes and treatment for inguinal hernias

User Profile
So yesterday I was doing my ab workout and felt a tear or a pop inside my rectum. I didnt think anything of it then because there was no pain after the pop so I finished my workout. About 30-45 min later a felt a knot forming in my lower left ab (cannot really be seen but can be felt if I slowly move my hand across it) and hernia was the first thing that popped into my mind so I made a doctors appointment, which I attended earlier today. She said since there is not a visible bulge and no pain in my testicles that it is probably not a hernia, She even checked them and said they appeared fine and said hernias usually appear directly in the middle of the abs rather than off to the side. She gave me permission to go along with my weight workout but with no ab workout and just to keep an eye on it. During my workout I felt the knot becoming larger, but not really painful, just uncomfortable. I have iced the knot but it is not improving( if anything it is getting worse). What do you think?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 8th, 2009
Hernia Answer A6733
According to the major symptom you describe, (a formed knot in lower left quadrant of the abdominal wall), it is possible that you may be experiencing a left-side inguinal hernia.

An inguinal hernia is being formed when various soft tissues from the abdominal cavity protrudes through a weak point, into the inguinal canal in the lower abdominal wall. It might or might not enter down into the testicular sack. The most common reasons for the appearance of various types of hernias are: hard coughing, bending over, lifting heavy objects or having scars of previous surgeries.

Typical signs of an inguinal hernia might include: a buldge, pain/discomfort in groin area which might become intensive when lifting heavy things, bending or coughing, heavy sensations in groins or testicles swelling. Doctors usually recommend surgical repair when there is pain or enlargement of the hernia.

However, it is hard to say whether you should continue ab work or lifting without a direct physical examination. Therefore, ab work exercises and heavy lifting abstinence might be the wisest choice at this time. You might want a second opinion (a double-check) by a general/abdominal surgeon or urologist on this issue, and an additional permission for exercising.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.