Hi - so sorry but posted this in the wrong area -

I'm a 30 year old male and just went to the doctor for the first time in a couple of years due, literally, a slight pain in the neck. The doctor told me it was likely due to a virus, but offered me azythromycin, "just in case", if it would make me feel better. I took 500 mg that evening, 250 the following morning, and on the morning of the third day I went to the hospital to get some routine blood work done, including a CBC and LFT.

The doc called me later that morning to report that my platelet count was 112,000, down from the normal of 130,000. I've since seen 150-450,000 quoted as optimal. She said she didn't have a baseline to compare it to, so repeat the CBC in four to six weeks, as it may have been the azythromycin screwing up the numbers. (I had also taken an ibuprofen and tylenol three to four days prior to the cbc.) She said everything else was fine, and WBC's were at 7,000. No issue with red blood cells.

I took 250 mg on the third, fourth and fifth day, and the antibiotic did make me feel uncomfortable while I was on it. (Nausea, stomach cramps, etc.) The doc called me later in the week to report that the LFT had come in, and while five of the enzyme counts were normal, the ALT level was 53, above the high range of 40. She didn't sound concerned and said we'd repeat it with the CBC in 4-6 weeks.

Now, I'm a hypochondriac's hypochondriac. About ten years ago, I had sex with a steady girlfriend and may have been exposed to menstrual blood. I had an STD screening about seven years ago and everything came back clear, save one test that was messed up because of the person who drew the sample. I want to say it was a swab sample, not a blood sample, but I honestly cannot remember if it was Hep C or not that didn't come back. I have read that Hep C is possible with thrombocytopenia and elevated ALT, and while I'm planning to switch docs soon, it'll be at least a few days before I could possibly get a Hep C test.

Am I making mountains out of molehills? I have never touched illegal drugs, gotten a tattoo, etc...and I'm trying to think of any way I could have come into contact with HCV and that's the best I've got. Are my numbers cause for concern, or would they have to be substantially more off? Any reassurance would be very helpful!

Thanks!

Read more: Blood Disorders Forum - Thrombocytopenia/elevated ALT - Cause for concern? http://ehealthforum.com/health/thrombocyto penia-elevated-alt-cause-for-concern-t2677 38.html#ixzz1DWwwP2hw
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 10th, 2011
Hello and thank you for posting your health query on E health Forum.

Based on the history, it seems that you have become highly anxious just based on a few lab reports. Your doctor was correct with just monitoring you and not taking additional measures to investigate you, based on a few incidental findings.

The lab reports are fine. The transient reduction of your platelet count & a very mild elevation of the liver enzymes was due to a minor side effect of azithromycin. This is not a major issue and will subside within a few days of completing the course of the medication.

In addition there is no need to get stressed about hepatitis C, 10 years post exposure. In case you were infected at that time, by now, you would have had serious liver damage and complications.

Any tests or investigations would surely be negative at this point of time. But you can go ahead and do them to allay your anxiety.

You might choose to seek a second opinion from a physician for confirmation and reassurance.

I hope this helps.

|

Thank you, and a quick followup. My primary care is sending me the order for the hep panel, but recommended I wait until I get the repeat CBC to get it done, which is weeks away. I am anxious and would like to get it taken care of as soon as possible. Is there any medical reason to wait on the hep panel, or was he trying to limit the amount of blood drawn. Any harm in just going soon?
|

And if I could just ask one last question, and thank you for the replay - all I'm seeing online is that elevated ALT and low platelets may be indicative of Hep C, but you stated my numbers seemed non-indicative. What range is most indicative? Would the ALT numbers need to be many times what I have, or only marginally increased?

Thanks!
|
Must Read
Hepatitis can lead to serious liver damage. We cover basics about liver anatomy and define hepatitis here. Plus info on the different types of hepatitis....
What are the major causes of Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C? Start here to learn what puts you at risk so that you can avoid the serious liver disease...
A list of the symptoms of each type of Hepatitis here. Plus, when you should seek medical attention for Hep signs and symptoms....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Liver Disorders, Hepatitis A,B,C , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.