Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Caudal Rectus Abdominis - for Dr. Wascher

Dr. Wascher,

Since you have been helpful in explaining things to many posters here, I am hoping you can help me. I am NOT looking for a diagnosis just input and some information, since you are a surgeon.

First, since it will be hard for you to explain in words, so can you provide a link (private message me if you'd like) that shows pictorially where the caudal rectus abdominis tendon is located (perhaps a Grey's anatomy picture or an MRI scan found online)

I had an MRI done for a sports hernia that claims "abnormal morphology of the caudal rectus abdominis tendon compatible with a lateral edge tear and/or detachment"

Now, my questions... (a quick yes or no is fine)

1.) Would this lateral edge tear be visible to a surgeon who is repairing a deficiency of the posterior inguinal wall?

2.) Could this defect lead to or cause atrophy of the rectus abdominis on one side in an MRI?

3.) Could this defect give a 'balling up' sensation of a lump or knot when raising one's leg while standing, like to tie a shoe?

I know these are very specific, but thank you for helping with these questions.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 23rd, 2010
I am unable to provide you with a link to an online anatomy page, but most public libraries have one or more anatomy atlases available. The "caudal rectus abdominis tendon" refers to the site on the upper pubic bone where the rectus muscle attaches to this bone. (The rectus abdominis muscles are the two vertical strap-like muscles that give your abdomen that "six-pack" appearance.)

In answer to your questions: (1) If the tear is nearly complete, or complete, then it will likely be visible to the surgeon in the OR (if surgery becomes necessary). (2) If the muscle was denervated by the injury, or if you stopped using the muscle (i.e., due to pain) for a long time, then atrophy might also occur. (3) If the muscle is truly detached from the upper pubic ramus, then any activity that causes the rectus muscle to contract could result in the detached portion of the muscle "balling up."

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

www.oncoguard.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
We review the definition of a hiatal hernia, what causes it, and types of hernias in this Introduction to Hiatal Hernia....
Do you know the difference between a small and large hiatal hernia? Know when to seek medical help? Hiatal hernia symptoms and more here....
Hiatal hernias are diagnosed clinically. But what lab tests and procedures can help confirm hiatal hernia? We review the medical exams here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.