Medical Questions > Relationships > Pets and Animals Forum

Cat Chewing on Electrical Cords

User Profile
My cat chews on electrical cords. She have about 50 toys, which she plays with also, but i see everytime she walks past an electrical cord she can't resist the temptation to bite it. I've tried using a water spray bottle, and she stops, and it's gotten to the point where i don't even have to spray her, but I'm worried she may get electricuted when i'm not around. She seems to pick out the most expensive or most used cords....such as the wii cords, my laptop power cord (this is my second one and bite marks are already all over it) cell phone charger, lamp cords etc. I don't live near a petco or petsmart so is there any household product I could put on the cords that cats hate?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 2nd, 2008
Community Volunteer
Rub something like hotsauce on the cord and when she bites it should activate the flavor and hopefully discourage her from chewing. Also keep fresh water handy as she may need it.

This is not cruel...if she does not like the taste it should break her from this habit.

Let us know how this works for you.

~Zig
|
Users who thank zigemyster for this post: Fairy Godmother 

User Profile
replied October 3rd, 2008
Supporter
She might also be acting out because she wants a little more attention from you. How much time do you spend with her a day? OR are you spending more time with the electrical appliances?
|

User Profile
Experienced User
I'm home mostly all day except for a couple of hours in the morning. She follows me around everywhere and is with me most of the time. Even if i am in the bathroom she sits outside the door and meows. She is 3 years old but she is still as crazy as when i got her when she was a kitten. I adopted her at a humane society.
|

User Profile
Experienced User
and i'm not spending more time on the computer than with her. but, i noticed that if I keep my computer on the coffee table she leaves the cords alone, but if I keep it on my desk in my room, she hovers around the cords near my desk and tv. I've thought about getting some sort of piping to put my cords through, but decided it was too much trouble and haven't gotten around to it. My family owns a mexican restaurant, and we have habanero sauce, so i was going to patch up the exposed wire with electrical tape and put a little of that sauce on there. Do you think that would be too strong?
|

replied October 29th, 2008
Experienced User
woa habanero is way too hot. and if you put that exposed wiring it.ll pretty much kill your applience. they do sell repellant stuff for cats at the petstore. but for now a little bit of tapatio hot sauce should work
|

replied November 17th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
Try some Bitter Apple Spray it's safe for animals and electrical cords. They sell it at most pet stores and it works great! I used to have a rabbit that would do the same thing but the second I used the spray he completely quit.
|

replied November 20th, 2008
Rub dish detergent on the cords, it worked for me!!
|

User Profile
replied November 21st, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
or anyting that tastes nasty
|

User Profile
replied November 21st, 2008
Experienced User
I feel for you! my cat did that all the time! i went threw 2 laptop coards a bunch of cell phone chargers and xbox controlars. Though he gets alot of attention so i dont think he was doing it for attention. My cat finaly just stoped doing it as much, though he still chews on the curner of our wall lol. atleast he stays away from most coards
|