I've been having issues with my hands and wrists for a while now... since I started playing stepmania.
Now, it's come to a head. Today in school, while writing very fast to keep up with the teacher, my left hand (I use it for everything) started to hurt a lot. Well, not quite my hand, but my wrist and forearm. I could barely write at all after that.

I spend a lot of time on the computer, I type a lot (10-finger, decent but not ideal posture), play Flash Flash Revolution at really high levels (it's similar to dance dance revolution, just with keyboard and a lot faster... not good for the hands), play guitar, piano, and bass. I NEED to be able to do my typing, music, writing, etc. So of course, I'm worried. Is it carpal tunnel?

My mom thinks it's from too much computer use, but I recently messed up my wrist with an awkward fall in sports class (very large swelling for about 20 minutes), and then I spent the next day carrying very heavy furniture around...
I don't know what to make of this or how to fix it. I don't have any real pain in my hands yet, but my left forearm and wrist ache.Is this Carpal Tunnel, or some other disorder? What should I do about it?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 31st, 2009
Community Volunteer
You may want to check with a doctor to be sure you had no injury to your hand...Too much on the computer can be a culprit with the hands...Make sure that your hands are low on a pull out drawer for the mouse and your typing board...These are just a few thoughts on this, but give yourself some rest...Take care of your wrists...Once they go I doubt that they are ever the same...

Good luck,
Caroline
|

replied December 13th, 2009
below is the summary of signs of carpal tunnel syndrome. These symptoms need to be present for at least a week or more than three times in the preceding six months.

* Sleep interruption from numb hands and tingling fingers
* Waking up -- Numbness in Hand at Night and Pain in Wrist
* Hand Pain and or Wrist Pain
* Weakness in Hand and Wrist - loss of hand muscles
* Poor Circulation, Hands falling asleep
* Cold Hands - Forearms warm
* Loss of Hand Grip Strength
* Loss of Feeling Sensation in Fingers & Thumb
* Dropping Objects - Forks - Glasses - Pen – etc
* Numbness in Fingers or Tingling - Index, Middle & Ring Finger
* Loss of fine motor skills in hands
* Clumsiness in Hands
* Aching Shoulders and Neck

If you experience these, you should consult a doctor immediately.

|
Must Read
Learn the basics about carpal tunnel syndrome here: causes, risk factors and complications....
Are some people born with carpal tunnel? More here on what can cause carpal tunnel syndrome and who is at risk of developing the condition....
Carpal tunnel syndrome is accompanied by very clear signs and symptoms. But how do symptoms change as the syndrome progresses? More info here....