Has anyone had open carpal tunnel surgery who is also morbidly obese? I am scheduled for surgery on by dominant right hand in ten days and could use some helpful tips. It is necessary to use both hands when I get out of a chair. Also, as I am over 400 lbs, I am dreading bathroom needs. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 8th, 2013
Community Volunteer
Hi sbtack56...Rent or get yourself an automatic life chair...This way they will raise you in the air when you have to get up...We purchased two of these when my husband had shoulder surgery as he wasn't able to use his arm for 6 weeks...He also slept in it as it reclined and his shoulder was very sore...They are awesome...As far as the bathroom needs... Go to your plumbing supply store or where they sells bathroom fixtures and they sell a seat that you can place on any of your toilets...They go up as high as five inches off the toilet...You will also be able to purchase some handrails for the sides of the toilet too...

These things you will need until you heal...I believe you may be able to rent them at a health care store if you wish to go this direction...Either way, you will do well...

Good luck and take it easy healing..Don't put pressure on that wrist before the doctor tells you too...Take care...

Caroline...
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What is the medical definition of obesity? How is obesity different than being overweight. Basic medical facts on obesity here....
We review the simple cause of obesity here, and help you evaluate whether or not you are at risk of becoming obese. ...
Click here for basic signs of weight gain, and information on when to seek medical help if you think that you are becoming overweight....