Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stroke Forum

Carotid Artery Dissection - was it a stroke?

7 wks ago I went to A&E with right sided numbness, eye and mouth drooping, visual disturbance, pulsative tinnitus, confusion especially around speech, dizziness, I was sent home with an 'infection'.
I stayed in bed feeling exhausted, the symptoms reduced but i didn't get back to normal. 6 days later I had the numbness again. Went to A&E they admitted me and this time I had CT/MRI neck doppler all were clear. I was sent home with migraine.
7 wks later I was admitted again. I was then sent for MRA/MRI scan and diagnosed with Carotid Artery Dissection.
Did i have a small stroke or did i just have symptoms of a CAD?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 1st, 2008
Doctor
Carotid artery dissection (CAD) usually doesn't show any symptoms because the other carotid artery supplies the brain with enough blood. CAD shows symptoms when a blood clot, that was formed on a place of dissection, rubs from the artery's wall, get into the brain circulation, and finally sticks in some terminal brain artery. This is called thromboembolia. Thromboembolia in the brain causes an ischemic stroke (brain infarct) that causes permanent brain damage.

Sometimes if the cloth is small, the fibrinolytic system in the blood can dissolve the clot before permanent brain damage occurs. In that case symptoms last only temporally and that condition is called Transient ischemic attack (TIA). TIA and ischemic stroke can have the same symptoms; the only difference is that in ischemic stroke most of the symptoms remain permanent while in TIA they are transient.

I believe that you had TIA.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Users who thank Dr. Nikola for this post: withnail1969 
Must Read
What happens during a stroke? What increases your chances of having a stroke? Stroke basics and info on the two types of stroke here....
Strokes can happen with virtually no warning signs. Learn the symptoms of stroke so that you can take immediate action in case of emergency....