Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Cannot wake up from sleep

I'm diagnosed sleep apnea and since it's onset, have been unable to wake myself up. This includes alarm clocks, opening windows, setting a sleep schedule, etc. The ONLY way I can wake up is by somebody physically waking me up and that only works after the first couple of tries. First issue is when I hear an alarm clock, I move from whatever dream I'm in to a separate dream where I think I've woken myself up, but I keep trying to turn off the alarm clock and it won't turn off. Sometimes I realize I'm dreaming still and "wake up" into a 3rd or 4th dream that seems more real and have the same issues. Secondly, my body seems to require 13-16 hours of sleep in order to feel well rested and wake up naturally. I am using a cpap machine, however, I sort of sleep walk and remove the machine in my sleep. Any ideas on how I can become independent and wake up on my own?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 26th, 2013
Active User, very eHealthy
If you have apnea but remove your CPAP you can expect the excessive drowsiness you are describing. You may want to 1)ensure you're using the CPAP correctly, and 2) consider a different kind of CPAP that you will tolerate better.

Good luck to you.
|
Did you find this post helpful?