Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Herpes and Genital Warts Forum

canker sorez. Dr has ran out of ideas.

User Profile
My name is Michelle and I'm an average 23 year old normally healthy person. About this time last year I started to get canker sores and have been getting them almost constantly ever since. I've been tested for IBS and Bercets disease and both came out negative. I've been put on antibiotics,antivirals and birth control. Every once in a while I'll get a week or two break without sores but normally a sore will start forming before the other one heals. My doctors seemed to have ran out of idea and I'm not sure what else to do. I get them anywhere possible in my mouth. ..tongue, gums, tonsils, roof of my mouth, anywhere. I cut out spicy foods and have switched tooth paste a few times. I don't know what to do and eating is sometimes painful for me. I've been prescribed medications to ease discomfort but it only does so much and some places are harder to apply the antiseptic. Any ideas will help.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 17th, 2015
General Q and A Answer A51119
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

While the etiology of canker sores is multifactorial/ uncertain and cant simply be attributed to a single cause, as a clinician while treating patients who present with canker sores, I have seen benefit and long lasting relief with doxycycline and B complex vitamin supplementation ( B1, B6, B12) along with zinc supplements. Local lignocaine or bonjela ointments for pain relief can be used. Topical steroids and tetracyclines can also reduce the severity and help in resolution of the ulcers, earlier.

wishing you best of health

thanks

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
20% of the population has or carries herpes simplex virus. But do you know what herpes is? Learn about causes and risk factors for herpes. ...
Do you know the less common signs and symptoms of herpes? Get the facts of herpes symptoms and outbreaks here....
Herpes diagnosis requires proper testing. Learn about the two simple tests that doctors use to confirm a herpes diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Herpes and Genital Warts , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.