Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

Canker sore healing very slow? 8 days?

Hello there,

I have had an ulcer for roughly 8 days, I admittedly have only started to try and treat it in the last 3 days as i had thought they just go away on their own, the pain has subsided considerably after applying raw salt and orajel, however it's still there, in all of its yellow/white glory and it doesn't seem to have plans on leaving.

I have been detoxing lately, lots of strong lemon water and ACV, also juicing fruits. Strawberries, Oranges, and Oil pulling. Oh and i am alone most of the days so I tend to get quite anxious when all i have is a worry and the internet..

I guess what i am asking is that if the pain has subsided, does this mean it's healing. I don't understand the healing process with these as I really don't ever get them. I read online they're meant to be really painful and make swallowing difficult, but it's above the tooth (incisor, right side) on the gum so I assume i'm likely to be exempt from that..I can rub my tongue over the area, it doesn't feel as though there is much there, a little rough maybe; but like i said, visually it's certainly there. probably about a 5-7mm area?

I also am a smoker, with mild periodontal disease (scaling recommended) I'm 28 drink on weekends but not super heavy. I unfortunately stumbled upon things such as "persistent sores can be a sign of HIV or Cancer," but I don't know how to take this.. I am a gay male so anytime you read HIV it's a sure thing you have it, you know, HA party in your head..

I'm an uninsured American in Australia, do you think I should have this checked out, is there anything else i should be keeping an eye out for?

Many thanks in advance for you time and effort in answering me
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 13th, 2014
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern.

A look at the lesion or sore would have been helpful. For canker sores Folic acid and B complex vitamins in addition to doxycycline course should have been initiated. apply bonjela ointment for pain burning etc. Get an STD panel done if your worried about STDs.

wishing you best of health

thanks

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Dental Health , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.