Medical Questions > Cancer > Cancers Forum

Cancer? Pancreatic? Liver? Something else?

I am not sure if this is the right place or not, but would appreciate any feedback or words of advice....

For about a year now, my husband (32) has been showing symptoms of low blood sugar at different times. It starts out gradual and ends in him slurring his speech, not being able to walk straight and getting very very tired. Honestly, he appears drunk. During these 'episodes' as we've started calling them, his blood sugar is usually 130-170 which surprised us both. Also, since he is very tired, he usually takes a long nap (3-4 hours), or at night goes to bed, and wakes up just fine. Some days he doesn't experience this at all, some times it's a daily occurrence. Sometimes he wakes up like that, other times he doesn't appear this way until evening.

We went to the doctor to have blood work done, and it turns out his ferritin is very high (over 2000). He has had some phlebotomies, and it is currently at under 600. He also feels nauseous often, does throw up sometimes, has back pain and has lost about 25lbs. He also experiences cramps in his feet and hands. He has had an ultrasound done to look for damage in liver, kidney etc., but everything came back fine. Also, his hba1c (I believe that's correct) was good.

He was an alcoholic, but has been sober for a while now. Symptoms have not changed. I know what you're thinking....he's probably drinking and that's why he has those symptoms. I can guarantee that he is not. We were hoping that cutting out all alcohol would make him feel better, but things haven't changed much.

Living in the time that we are, we of course looked up his symptoms, and many facts point to pancreatic cancer or some type of cancer. Has anyone experienced similar symptoms with any advice? We have an appointment for another blood draw, but the appointment to see a doctor is far out. Just hoping for some help/advice/similar stories.

Thank you!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 16th, 2017
Welcome to e health forum.

The description provided is indicative of your underlying condition being due to Hemochromatosis.

Hemochromatosis is an iron disorder in which the body simply loads too much iron.

The diagnosis of hemochromatosis is based on clinical features of the disease. Most patients are asymptomatic and are diagnosed when elevated serum iron levels are detected.

The management of the condition is with chelation therapy , plebotomy to remove the excess iron, liver transplant in case of end stage liver disease and joint replacement procedure in cases of joint damage.

There is a risk of hepato cellular cancer in this condition and based on clinical and radiological findings this can be screened for and detected.

You should work with the treating doctors and seek further management and advice.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Cancers , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.