Medical Questions > Cancer > Pancreatic Cancer Forum

cancer had already spread to his liver.

User Profile
Hi,
I am from New Delhi, India. My dad was diagnosed with inoperable stage 4 metastatic pancreatic cancer on 12/03/2012

while he was in Operation Theater. Doctor Stop the operation.
Now they are saying only Kemo will help.

My Dad was supposed to have the Wipple procedure but when the doctors opened him up, they saw that the cancer had already spread to his liver. The surgeon did not remove the tumor on his pancreas or liver and just closed him back up. My understanding that there are 8 to 10 small mets on his liver that look like small, rice-like granules. I believe they are isolated to only one lobe of the liver.

We were told that chemotherapy was our only option at this point, but given that it is only a palliative measure, so we are obviously looking for other viable options.

Pl help me my father is at 65yrs, & fit n fine before this operation. He will be going to discharged frm hospital on 20.03.12.

Then Cemo will start on 28.03.2012.

Pl .. pl please help me... what to do

I was devastated to learn that the surgeon did not remove the tumor on the head of his pancreas. The surgeon said that he left the tumor there so my Uncle could begin chemotherapy sooner. I don't understand why he would leave that "ticking time bomb" inside of him and it pains me to know that it is still inside him and growing even as I type this post

Thanks
Gagan
[email protected]

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 6th, 2012
Pancreatic Cancer Answer A33618
Hi Gagan,

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out. I can understand your concern for your uncle but the surgeon was absolutely right in abandoning the Whipple's procedure on seeing the metastasis to the liver. Once the tumor has metastasized to the liver, it becomes a stage 4 pancreatic cancer. Unfortunately majority of the patients don't live more than 6 months and only a few survive up to one year once the diagnosis is confirmed. The only option available presently is chemotherapy. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Learn pancreas basics here: we review anatomy, how cancer spreads and different types of pancreatic cancer in this short intro....
Do doctors know what causes pancreatic cancer? Here we review causes and risk factors that may increase the likelihood of developing cancer of the pancreas....
Cancer of the pancreas do not usually manifest symptoms in its early stages. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help for pancreatic cancer here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Pancreatic Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.