Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

Can you tell me if I am developing Schizophrenia, -thymia orSPD?

I have been reading about Schizophrenia a lot and I think I might be developing it. I am a boy at 16 years old, I am very quiet, but still have a few friends who are normal. I try and appear outwardly normal, but I am not able to have a conversation with an adult a lot, I do not know what to say. I have few words when answering any questions and if my parents don't tell me, I wont shower or brush my teeth. I have absolutely no interest in being with friends, I can sit at home and do nothing for days straight, I've done it, I watch TV for 16 hours and go to bed for a few days straight, and don't even feel lonely. I find almost nothing exciting, I like combat and stuff, I am a black belt in Tae Kwon Do, I like archery, gun shooting, sword fighting, fencing, but after a few days, I get bored and need something better or different or knew. The only thing I have every really enjoyed is coin collecting. I work alone if given any chance at school, I cannot ever remember a time when I was proud of myself after a compliment, they just don't mean anything to me, criticism is just annoying and is something that happens when I get my parents upset with my grades or actions. I have been yelling random things more and more at home, especially about my dog, like gibberish, and even for no reason. I see a lot of visual delusions like imagining my cat and looking and its not there, and laser pointer type lights, but they move then disappear, mostly they are blue. I also hear mixed voices at night, and I am convinced that things are in my room, so every minute or so I turn on my light and look around for things in my room, but I don't even know what I am looking for. I don't have any other major delusions, if I have them nobody told me they are wrong. I quickly forget important things, and I think I have or am developing a problem. My parents don't know there is a problem, I never tell them anything about myself, I meet the criteria for Schizoid Personality Disorder in WHO diagnosis, and Schizothymia, which is a personality type which normally includes a very mild level of schizophrenia and all the personality traits of a person with the disease. Please tell me if I have any of the three and what I should do. Thanks

** I am on no medications and have no allergies.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 23rd, 2011
I have schizophrenia and we are pretty similar. I just simply not like the other kids, I don't fit in. But at the same time I'm kind of okay with that.

I think our biggest similarity is that we change our mind a lot. One day I'll like one thing then the next it's something completely different.

I'm not an expert on schizophrenia but if you imagine seeing your cat I'm pretty sure you have it.

I would tell you what you should do but I still don't even know what I should do about it.
|

User Profile
replied January 28th, 2011
Phillip, you are not crazy
Hi Phillip,
Usually when a person experiences a great deal of isolation, they will exhibit symptoms of mental illness. Just like a lone wolf, a lone human's survival lessens without a pack. In prisons, when they place a inmate in isolation, it is only for a brief time because the person will start to go crazy. I can tell you are intelligant by what you wrote. People with high IQ's often are loners and don't "fit in" with their peers. I know this from personal experience. I also understand your symptoms as I have gone through long periods of isolation staying home raising small children for years. Your mind will play tricks on you. Because you are highly intelligant, your mind needs to be stimulated and if it's not, you are going to go crazy. A well regulated schedule including proper sleep, diet and physical and mental stimulation is required for you to function at your best. Phillip, you need to have your parents make you a doctor appointment and see if you may need some antidepressants to help you temporarily so you can snap out of this. Low levels of chemicals in your brain need to be re-upped. I would guess you are clinically depressed. Having battled clinical depression myself since the age of 15, you are exhibiting all the symptoms. You have alot of talents and you need to get more involved in them. We are not all born with good social skills, but it is vital for us to have other people in our lives. They keep us sane. They provide another perspective. They fill a whole battery of needs-mental, emotional, physical, spiritual, our very health depends on one another. We all have something to offer eachother. By being a loner, you are cheating others of being blessed by you. You are also denying yourself the rewards of companionship which is a basic human essential. Depression can kill you. Inside and out. Get help. Be honest and trust your parents and doctor. Don't be ashamed, it happens to the best of us. Most geniuses also have depression. Don't give up, don't accept less than what you know internally. Mediocracy will never satisfy you and you are not made to handle this alone. This is your brain's way of telling you that. Goood luck to you.
|

replied October 30th, 2011
I also have symptoms of schizophrenia and have also seen my cat in my room when they were not there, even when i was away at college and obviously they were not really there.
|

replied November 7th, 2011
ya i rightly agree with erin7375 ; these are side effects of isolation and may lead to conditions which you are thinking its all what you think you develop have positive ideas and read books like The power of subconcious mind etc to know yourself more and take interset and respect what you are doing...
|

replied March 10th, 2012
I was hospitalized in 1992 and the doctors said I had major depressive disorder with psychotic features. They ruled out schizophrenia and schizoid personality disorder. I have been a loner for a good part of my life and thought there was nothing wrong with it but now I am older and am beginning to think that I was misdiagnosed. I sometimes believe I am a schizoid personality because of my isolation and loner beliefs. I have always wanted friends and a girlfriend but have not gone out and got them I sometimes think that there is more to me than just depression.
|

replied March 10th, 2012
I was hospitalized in 1992 and the doctors said I had major depressive disorder with psychotic features. They ruled out schizophrenia and schizoid personality disorder. I have been a loner for a good part of my life and thought there was nothing wrong with it but now I am older and am beginning to think that I was misdiagnosed. I sometimes believe I am a schizoid personality because of my isolation and loner beliefs. I have always wanted friends and a girlfriend but have not gone out and got them I sometimes think that there is more to me than just depression.
|
Tags: Allergies
Quick Reply
Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....