Medical Questions > Cancer > Thyroid Cancer Forum

can you tell a mass and a goiter on a cat scan?

User Profile
My friend fractured her sternum and her ct came back with in addition to a thyroid fracture, a large 4 cm thyroid mass which extends into her superior medistanum, and is causing left deviation of her trachea. I am reading from the results of the ct scan. She is 70 years old. I am her close friend, and my question is can you tell the difference between a mass and a goiter on a cat scan. Can you tell if it is malignant from a cat scan alone. She can't feel a mass in her neck, although she is over-weight, so I don't know if she could feel it this is about her not me, so I am going to put her data in

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 25th, 2012
Thyroid Cancer Answer A36407
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
It is difficult to comment on the cause for the findings that you describe without examining her and correlating the investigation findings with the symptoms. Getting a thyroid scan done along with other hormonal and tumor marker test done would help to identify the exact cause for the evaluation findings. Consider discussing the situation and evaluation findings with her treating doctor. Further investigations/evaluation would be done as appropriate and treatment would be started to help her.
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Thyroid Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.