Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Getting Pregnant Forum

can you get pregnant without having sex?

I have never had sex before. But my period is really late (but it is very irregular) and i noticed my boobs have recently grow a lot and i have gained about maybe 7 pounds.... i have had dry "sex" but with all clothes stil on and me and boyfriend do fool around but we always wash our hands and stuff. online some people say you can get pregnant from that but i dont know if that is true or not? could i be pregnant?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 28th, 2013
Community Volunteer
You are not pregnant from that!
|

replied April 28th, 2013
Extremely eHealthy
You can get pregnant without having sex and it happens all the time, sometimes deliberately.
You do have to introduce sperm into the vagina in order to get pregnant.

If your underwear was robust and well-fitting gusseted panties and you both washed your hands it is unlikely you are pregnant.

Lots of women have boobs that grow one or two cup sizes approaching a period and often they feel tender or extra-sensitive. Fluctuating weight isn't so unusual either but 7 pounds is quite a lot.

If you don't get your period and your symptoms persist for a week it would be advisable to seek medical advice.
|

User Profile
replied April 30th, 2013
Especially eHealthy
katie4567,

It is impossible to get pregnant without placing millions of sperm into the vagina (either by sexual intercourse or manually placing semen into the vagina). So, from the activities you describe, it is not possible to become pregnant.

Yes, there are many "stories" about young women getting pregnant from "fingering", foreplay, the penis brushing past the outside of the vagina, dry humping, etc, etc, etc. These stories come from decades ago, when it was thought that it only took one lucky sperm to get up the vagina and come into contact with the egg, for pregnancy to occur.

It is now known that this is just not true. Yet, the stories persist. It is now known that if a gentleman's sperm count drops below 20 million per cc of ejaculate, that he is functionally sterile (very difficult to produce a pregnancy, without help). So, if a man that is depositing millions of sperm deep into the vagina has difficultly getting his partner pregnant, there is no chance of a few sperm on the outside of the woman's gentilia ever causing a pregnancy.

Again, it takes hundreds of millions of sperm to get the job of fertilization done, not just one lucky sperm. In fact, just one sperm cannot get through the barrier on the outside of the egg. Though only one sperm actually fertilizes the egg, it takes thousands of sperm, all releasing enzymes, to break down the corona radita on the outside of the egg. One lone sperm just cannot do it alone.

So, though there are plenty of stories out there, they persist to scare young people into not having premarital sex or to use contraception (which is a good idea). There is not one documented case of a young lady getting pregnant in this manner.

But, if you are "playing around", you should get some condoms and have them handy or get on the pill. It is very easy to get caught up in the moment, and "go all the way", then pregnancy is possible.

As verne stated, you may close to getting your peroid. If you do not get your period, you may need to see your gynecologist.

Good luck.
|
Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....