Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Bacterial Disorders Forum

Can you get brain-eating amoeba from bottled water???

Please help me! I'm super hypochondriac and I don't know if I have brain-eating amoeba!! I was drinking water last night, water from Arrowhead Spring Water that I poured in a cleaned empty Naked water bottle. The thing is it was very hot last night and the bottled was sealed off. You can see the vapor of the water. I drank it and it kind of got stuck in the back of my mouth, where the hard palate is. I coughed and titled my head and kept swallowing the water to go down with my saliva for like 5 minutes, then I tried putting my head downwards. I don't know if that water, if the amoeba will grow in there, got into my nose due to my coughing/swallowing process. This amoeba only affects you if it gets in your nose, to travel to your brain. It's usually found in untreated tap water and in stagnant warm ponds and lakes, though. I didn't feel any water up my nasal cavities, though. But I'm paranoid. I was only a little bit of water I drank, like two sips full. Still I'm paranoid. Thanks a lot!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 5th, 2017
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. You are worrying. Just a few sips of water wont lead to amoeba growing in your brain. Take some anxiolytics and rest.

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
You've probably had a case of food poisoning at least one in your life...but what types of food poisoning exist? Basics on food poisoning here....
Not everyone will get sick from contaminated food. Learn who is more at risk of food poisoning, and what factors increase bacterial growth here....
How do you know if you've got a case of salmonella food poisoning versus e. coli? Learn the basic symptoms of food poisoning and when to seek help here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Bacterial Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.