I have a history of peptic ulcers. I was just wondering if its alright to fly when you have them. I am currently taking medication(Prilosec) for it.
I am supposed to be flying on Tuesday.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 3rd, 2008
Supporter
A sore in the lining of your stomach or your duodenum should not keep you from flying. The medication that you are taking suppresses acid production in the stomach. Likely factors that contribute to the development of a peptic ulcer are:

* H. pylori infection

* use of NSAIDs often

* smoke cigarettes

* drink alcohol

Flying in an airplane should not exacerbate your symptoms. However, call your doctor right away if you have any of the following symptoms. These symptoms must be treated quickly. You may need surgery if you experience:

* sudden sharp pain that doesn't go away

* black or bloody stools

* bloody vomit or vomit that looks like coffee grounds
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...