Medical Questions > Womens Health > Infertility Forum

can we try naturally without medications?

User Profile
hello Dr.
I am 29 yrs old , married for 8 months.I had conceived within one month of marriage but was tested positive for TORCH infection in 7th wk. My doctor then asked me to go for D&C procedure. Both me & my husband were given some antibiotics and were asked to avoid pregnancy for 3 months. After this time frame the doctor asked me to take clomiphene citrate for 5 days and labelled my case as an infertility case without conducting any other tests. She wanted to treat me with Inj FSH. all this was getting too traumatic for us and we decided to take a break from all this. I want to ask you Dr. whether all this treatment is necessary for me to be able to conceive or we can try naturally without medications like normal couples? Am I normal or not?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied August 25th, 2012
Infertility Answer A38167
Welcome to ehealthforum,
If you had conceived earlier without any medical assistance, chances are that you might conceive on your own provided the infections have not caused any damage/scarring/block in fallopian tubes, uterine lining etc. If you are worried, you can consider taking a second opinion from another gynecologist. Serological tests done to look at the antibody types to look at current status of the infection. If given clear ticket by the gynecologist (after looking at evaluation results), you can start trying for pregnancy. If you are not successful in your pregnancy plans within 6 months of trying, consider getting infertility work-up done for you and your partner to see if there are any underlying causes for the infertility/inability to conceive. Hormonal issues, problems involving ovaries and ovulation, uterine problems, tubal blocks, cervical or vaginal infections, ovarian failure/suppression, LPD, etc., should be ruled out for you. For your partner, semen analysis should be done to rule out infections and to confirm the quality and quantity of sperms produced, as well as rule out other factors that can affect sperm morphology and motility (especially acrosomal protein defect). Treatment as needed (based on examination and investigations results) would be started to help you get pregnant. If required, option of IVF or ICSI should be considered to help your get pregnant (especially if any sperm abnormalities are detected). Consider visiting your gynecologist/obstetrician for further evaluation and assistance and be in regular follow-up and monitoring as instructed. Have diet with foods rich in zinc content to ensure better maturation of egg and sperms. Monitor cervical mucus changes and the BBT (basal body temperature) charting to predict your ovulation and time your intercourse for having fruitful results. Have intercourse in positions that allow for deeper penetration for high deposit of semen. Be in regular monitoring and follow-up with your treating doctor/gynecologist and report any new/abnormal symptoms immediately.
Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Infertility , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.