Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menopause Forum

can't take any chances with hormones, alternatives?

User Profile
Is there an alternative treatment 'name brand' for ext vaginal dryness, thin skin, etc? I have Atrophic vaginitis @ 64. Due to history (self/ mom) do not want to use any estrogen. Not sexually active. Use Replens internally.

Several years ago a family doctor told me to use 1% hydrocortisone as needed up to 4 x's a day for discomfort. I did for years. Permanently red and now know that made the issue worse. However, when i had a yeast infection this year after antibiotics, the walk in clinic gave me 2.5% hydrocortisone to use 2 x's a day for up to a week at a time.

Mother had estrogen induced breast cancer and I've had colon cancer 2x's (spread to liver after 3 years but now am cancer free). I do not want to take any chances with hormones.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied July 3rd, 2014
Menopause Answer A48109
Welcome to ehealthforum,
If worried about cancer you may consider taking tumor marker test done to predict your chances of developing cancer (if there is history of cancer in family). For treatment of atrophic vaginitis use of estrogen cream helps. Avoid self diagnosis and self treatment. Visit your doctor/gynecologist at the earliest for thorough examination evaluation clarification and assistance. Get started on treatment as appropriate (based on examination findings and evaluation results) to help you control the symptoms. Avoid vaginal douching, use of harsh soap or perfumes in the area. Use loose cotton undergarments and avoid use of tight fitting clothes. Avoid sweat accumulation in the area and keep the area clean and dry. Rinse undergarments well and use antiseptic solution for the last rinse. If infective cause is detected, and if you are sexually active, get your partner also treated simultaneously to prevent chances of re-infection, and avoid having intercourse while being on treatment. Be in regular monitoring and follow-up with your treating doctor/gynecologist and report any new/abnormal symptoms immediately. Be in regular monitoring and follow-up with your treating doctor/gynecologist and report any new/abnormal symptoms immediately. Drink plenty of water. Take adequate rest. Maintain healthy diet and lifestyle.
Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What is menopause? Peri menopause? How long does menopause last? Get the facts on menopause, "the big change", here. ...
Symptoms of menopause and perimenopause affect women in different ways. What common signs and early symptoms of menopause can alert you of "the change"?...
Consult your doctor as your body makes the perimenopause transition. But how do doctors confirm the beginning of menopause? Learn more here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Menopause , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.