User Profile
i have been eating hilariously starting mid september till now.. irrelevant types of food and never full till i fall asleep. i put on almost 20 kgs in this period of time.. i can't stop it and even medication that contain orlistat and others that supposed to control hunger do not work with me anymore tho they used to.. i am so worried.. and i cant help binging.. its causing me more sickness that i worry my future.. i dont c my friends anymore exept my comfort zone so that we gather and eat.. but i dont go out and i dont pick my calls coz am so embarressed of wt i did to myself.i became so aggressive, and self centered. i hate work and i tend to cry all the time.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 29th, 2009
Eating Disorders Answer A8771
Hello.

Eating disorders are most often associated with some emotional issues or anxieties. Binge eating is a craving. And binge eating is thought to be related to an emotional void.

Medicines may help you up to a certain limit, as you have already experienced. You will need to explore your core beliefs, anxieties and emotional issues, probably with the help of a therapist.

Depression is supposed to lead to binge eating. And binge eating in turn leads to feelings of embarrassment and low self esteem. You are avoiding social interactions. You probably are not sure how to react to people's comments about your weight. But this avoidance is not helping you. It is actually adding to the problem.

You will have to learn to love yourself as you are, and not "for" something you have or don't have. It is quite possible that some of your friends may pass on comments and probably not understand what you are going through, but their comments are not a problem. What creates the problems is your beliefs about what happens to you.

First of all, you should believe firmly that you can get over this problem. Second, you should have a massively important reason to do this. If you tell yourself that losing weight and controlling your craving is good but you can live without it, then your efforts will not be adequate.

I suggest you find a therapist who can help you explore your core beliefs and help you work on them. You will be able to get over this problem if you "want it badly" enough.

Regards

This post is for the purpose of providing medical information and is not a substitute for a face-to-face consultation with a doctor. This post is not intended to give or rule out a diagnosis, create a doctor-patient relationship or replace an existing one.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Eating Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.