Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

can't put any faith in this 14 day test now? Scared.

User Profile
Dr. Anvekar,
OK I was doing ok until my mind got in the way with swirling bad thoughts and thinking of the worst possible outcome. Also I realize that I was a low risk anyway but the mind is a powerful thing and it has, for me, turned it into a high risk thing. And i'm grasping for answers now.
As you know I had a Neg. HIV DNA(PCR) test done at 14 days. It was Negative. I have been told I need another one at 28 days to make sure that the 14 day test was reliable. They assured me that the 28 day test would be 97% accurate. They said that the 14 Day test falls in the window of "Most Likely". I am really stressed. IT really scares me now that I can't put any faith in this 14 day test now and I have to get another one at 28 days. Will that one be conclusive.
Please give me some encouraging news. I know you have spoken before about the confusions surrounding the HIV DNA PCR test. There are some that just are adamantly against it.
Please help!

FREAKING OUT PERSON!!!!

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 8th, 2012
HIV and AIDS Answer A32566
Welcome to e health forum.

I understand you are highly stressed due your situation.

But, yes, the more later you do the HIV DNA PCR, is done, its accuracy and reliability increases proportionately.

But, In case, you are testing after 28 days, instead of a HIV DNA PCR, you should do a 4th generation HIV test. This has a very high sensitivity and very reliable after 4 weeks post exposure.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.