Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

can't fall asleep in my own bed

I haven't had a good night sleep in my own bed in almost a week. At best i'm getting 15-30 minute chunks of sleep followed by periods of being awake.

Meanwhile, I'm tired enough to be falling asleep at work. Falling asleep in the car. Falling asleep at my girlfriends house. But as soon as I get home and crawl into bed, it feels like I'm in a constant struggle all night long for these short durations of sleep.

The insomnia is accompanied by night sweats and chills.

I should note that I work the graveyard shift, and my typical sleep is from about 8am until about 4pm. I know trying to sleep during the day can mess with sleep, but I've been doing it for 3 years now and have never had a problem sleeping like this.

I got strep throat 2 days ago (un-diagnosed, but my symptoms seem to match), which isn't helping because of those symptoms. But the insomnia started prior to that. I took 1100mg of tylenol PM to reduce fever and get some sleep and I still couldn't sleep.

Yet, not 30 minutes prior to that I was falling asleep at my girlfriends house while trying to stay awake.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 5th, 2012
I can't sleep in my bed either. I personally sleep on the floor with some blankets and maybe like a foam pad or just blankets. This has worked for the past couple of months but I would ween yourself off of Tylenol do not just stop cold turkey! When you are off Tylenol go to your local Walgreens or drug store and find alteril. It does wonders and you can even watch tv or read a book and you'll fall asleep within 1 hour. The trick is though is that you have to be in bed after you take or it won't work. I have ADHD and i used to be up until 5:00-5:30 in the morning staring at the wall trying to go to bed since I had to wake up at 6:00. Once I found alteril though I was getting hours and hours of sleep. I tried Tylenol in my opinion it didn't do much.good luck and sleep tight.
|
Did you find this post helpful?