When I eat something I throw up is anyone else experiencing this? I have lost so much weight and I no longer have any energy. My stomach allays hurts and when I am around food I feel even worse. Please help
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied January 14th, 2012
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

The onset of severe pain, nausea, vomiting, could be due to conditions like gastritis, Gastric reflux or peptic ulcer disease. Such condition is usually associated with reduced appetite and loss of weight.

You can consult with a gastroenterologist who can examine you and do endoscopic studies (esophagogastroduodenoscopy ) to confirm the presence of gastritis or any form of ulcers. Other tests that may be required include - tests for H pylori, stool tests to check for bleeding.

Treatments for gastritis include antacids ( Mylanta, tums, etc) which will help to relieve the acidity and reduce the pain. Medications like Prilosec, help to reduce the acid secretion. You may need to take it for a longer time to help the symptoms subside.

Once the actual cause is detected and treated, your symptoms will subside. Trying stress reduction measures like meditation, yoga, breathing exercises, etc.

Some measures, that can help to improve your symptoms include:-

Alcohol, black and red pepper, chilies, chili powder, and hot peppers often irritate the stomach lining. Foods with caffeine can increase the amount of stomach acid. These foods include coffee (regular and decaf), teas, colas, cocoa, chocolate. Avoid or limit these items if they cause you pain.

Limit your intake of tomatoes, tomato juice, peppermint, fatty foods, and citrus juices. If they cause heartburn or pain in your esophagus. You may need to limit seasonings such as onions, garlic, cinnamon, and cloves if they upset your stomach.

Avoid foods that cause you to have extra gas. This may include broccoli, cabbage, onions, milk, cooked dried beans and peas, and some fruits. Pay attention to the foods that cause you trouble, and limit or avoid them according to how you feel.

Eat at regular times each day. Do not divide your food into six small meals unless you have trouble getting enough to eat. Eating too often can increase the acid in your stomach.

Choose low fat or fat-free dairy foods whenever possible. This will also help control stomach acid production.

I hope this helps.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.