Medical Questions > Mental Health > PTSD Forum

Can't decide; Adderall or Venlafaxine HCl XR?

I have been struggling over the last month on trying to decide which med I have liked more. Clearly the choices may not be the favorite for a lot of those reading this but for me these two meds have been probably the biggest help but I am unsure. I have been on Venlafaxine HCl XR for probably 2 years off and on. I loved the feeling I got when I first hit 300 mg years ago but it only lasted a very short time. I tried a lot of augmenting drugs like Buspar, Gabapentin, Abilify, Seroquel, etc. with Venlafaxine but I never found them to be that nice of a blend. I have been digressing all over the SSRI map to drugs like Prozac,Paxil, Luvox, Zoloft, Anafronyl, Viibryd, etc. but I am getting tired of trying new ones as I felt like Venlafaxine was my favorite out of that class. I did not get a very good try on anti-psychotic meds however the ones I did try I had HORRIBLE issues with. I gained 45+ pounds as my doctors got confused and threw me on Abilify and Seroquel with like 5 other medicines at the same time. I went so crazy mentally I had to go get admitted to a hospital to taper off like the 7 meds I was on at the time. I did try Rispradal but I hated it so much and it screwed my testosterone up so bad I felt like I was going to pass out whenever I did any level of exertion. Luvox gave me temporary speech impairment and I felt like I was going mental. I got off that and had horrible withdrawl for like 2 months afterwards. Zoloft I had awful panic attacks on. Buspar and Gabapentin felt like nothing but sleeping pills. I tried Viibryd and am still on it but it gave me awful diarrhea and hypnic jerk episodes that woke me up every night for like 4 months straight. Now I am finally hoping Adderall and the more ADHD direction will work as I am so hyperactive it's not even funny. I also am diagnosed with OCD though and with the anxiety I'm on I am having some issues with Adderall 20 mg taken twice a day at 10 mg each. It makes my anxiety race so bad but I am much more tolerant than when I started. I was also sexually traumatized at 17 years old by a previous girlfriend that lied to me in an attempt to get pregnant so I have severe PTSD. I cannot sleep hardly at all and academics are stressing me out so much that I've been leaning towards going back on Venlafaxine. The thought of that scares me though as my ADHD was god awful on Effexor but my anxiety was so much calmer. I have yet to try Adderall XR or whatever as I am only just starting it as of like 16 days ago or so. Honestly I have felt so edgy and pissed off on Adderall that I'm worried that it might not be a good fit. My brother has ADHD and loves Adderall but my dad loves Venlafaxine. I am genetically related to them both and I am the one who has tried both and has been stuck with a load of confusion. I feel so incredibly anxious but I also have sleep apnea that I literally cannot for the life of me get my GP to do anything about or my hometown hospital as they keep saying it's most likely my anxiety. I feel like nobody can hear me and I feel incredibly lost and alone. I have already been manic and in a state of psychosis multiple times that I have felt I literally have no idea what is going on with my brain anymore. It's horribly difficult to concentrate in school with how hyperactive and inattentive I am but my anxiety is very high at the same time. I'm completely perplexed...
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 26th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
I would suggest you to continue venlafaxine and start CBT sessions.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our PTSD , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.