Medical Questions > Nutrition > Diets and Diet Plans Forum

Can't control eating of junk food

Hello everyone,

I am a working executive, working long hours and addicted to fast food, usually eating while I'm in the office. I seem to eat whether I'm hungry or not and have got to a stage where I am unable to control my eating habit. Unfortunately, my weight is increasing and I'm being forced to buy clothes a size larger than normal. I can devote a little time to exercise, but is there a recommended safe way to lose weight? I've heard of all these diets, such as Atkins, that don't sound very healthy at all.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 14th, 2009
Community Volunteer
You don't need a diet...what you need (in my opinion) is self disipline and control over the foods that you eat.

Surround yourself with veggies, raw or steamed, chicken (not fried), fish, lean turkey, salad, various fruits, nuts, healthy fats.

Stress / working long hours will trigger cravings for carbs...
|

replied June 19th, 2009
there are still very good snacks that are fat free. check out the south beach diet snacks, they have cookies and chocolate bars and alot of stuff. put some in your purse and instead of going for fast food take one of those out to snack on, and drink some flavored water or juice. you can still eat fast food, but i'd cut it down. its hard but its worth it in the end, Smile
|

replied June 19th, 2009
and as far as the exercising just gradually start, dont do any of those dangerous crash diets or anything, just start out stretching and jogging around your neighborhood for about 5mins and then increase your time.
|

replied July 13th, 2009
Re
For any age group junk food is not good, junk food have sodium, sugar, and fat that's not good for health. They are the reason of lack of energy, feeling very hungry and weak due to the imbalance the junk food. So just avoid junk food.

|

replied December 1st, 2009
Homecook your meals. A tip that my teacher told me is to eat things people would have eaten in ancient native american times!
Did they discover chocolate? NO!
Did they have the delicious tastes of cheetos! Definitely not!
So eat natural things Very Happy
|

replied December 1st, 2009
PS, don't eat fat free things, just eat healthily, fat free things contain a LOAD of sugar, are expensive, and can even make your problem worse (trust me i know someone)
|

replied January 3rd, 2010
I think you should focus on 2 things: intuitive eating and stress reduction. Cortisol is produced by the body when under stress, and that hormone causes appetite increases, especially for sugary junk foods. I find that Yoga even once a week really reduces my stress levels, as does low-intensity cardio (even taking a ten minute walk around the office building), you might find something else effective.

Read more about intuitive eating here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intuitive_eat ing The basic idea is to normalize your eating by listening to your body, eat when hungry, stop when full, and don't deny yourself food that you are craving because it's "bad." I found that it's really helped me eat more normally and healthily--when you don't deny yourself food, even junk food, it really does become less attractive. When I tell myself that I can't eat dessert, eating it is all I can think about. When I let myself eat dessert whenever I want, I end up eating much healthier! Before I started following principles of intuitive eating, I was scared to have sweets or snack foods of any kind in the house because I was afraid I would binge on them. Now there's all kinds of candy and chocolate in our pantry, and I almost never touch it--if I listen to my body, more often than not I'd rather eat an apple.
|

replied March 17th, 2010
I would like you to check out Herbalife products. They offer core products that will help you lose weight and improve your health (and curb your cravings!). We have three core products: our protein shake mix, multi-vitamin and cell activator. The basis of Herbalife is cellular nutrition and the power of protein. We offer so many products that will help you when you get the cravings for junk food (ie protein snacks, drinks mixes, etc.). Please contact me for more information or if you aren't sure, I would more than happy to send you our new product catalog. I am on the products myself and believe me, they DO work. I am very sincere when I say I want to help you!
|
Must Read
What is metabolic syndrome and how is it characterized? Get started by learning more about metabolic or insulin resistance syndrome here....
Is insulin resistance related to metabolic syndrome? Does a poor diet cause metabolic syndrome? And are you at risk of developing this metabolic disorder?...
Does metabolic syndrome manifest any symptoms? Learn the characteristic signs and symptoms of metabolic problems, plus know when to seek medical help....