Medical Questions > Mental Health > Panic Attacks Forum

Can stress or weight reducing pills induce strong hallucinations

My friend started to drink pills (reduxcut) to reduce weight ( she is not overweight, she thought it would help to loose few kilos before summer). At first everything looked quite normal, just typical side effects from caffeine overdose, such as very dry mouth, enlarged heart beat, sleeplessness, lack of appetite, and full of energy. But after about 2 weeks of using them, she started complaining feeling sleepy and nausea, said that it feels like there is a bump in her throat and that she has a very very bad breath smell, we thought that it was food poisoning, but she wasn't able to make herself vomit, no matter how hard she tried. Later on, I read about the pills, and on the description was written to stop taking them immediately if feeling nausea or sleepy. I told her to throw them away, but I'm suspecting that she didn't ( but i'm not sure). everyday it got worse and worse, she was dizzy, fatigue ( she had to stop for a few minutes when going to the bus stop, because she felt tired), paranoid, sweated heavily, felt extra cold or extra hot, no matter what the weather was. It was very strange, but we thought that maybe that is how she is dealing with stress, because she is a student and has lots of exams coming up, doesn't get to sleep, eat well and so on. But a few days later she literally started hallucinating. one night she ran into my room in the middle of the night from nowhere, and when I asked what is wrong, she just answered that she thought that someone is talking, and just went back to sleep. The next day when I was not home, she called me and cried that there is a rat in our flat ( she complained few times before, that she hears sounds, and that there might be a mouse ) but this time, she said that she sees the rat in front of her clearly ( she has a phobia for rats). I came back home a few hours later, we checked for the rat everywhere, but there was no signs of it. Also it is nearly impossible that there is a rat in our home, because there is not a tiny hole anywhere, and i also study quietly in my room very much, so i would have been heard something. after we searched the flat for the mouse, she calmed down. The next day I drove to my parents, she called me 4 in the morning crying and screaming that she hears the rat again, that the sounds are very loud and clear, even the plates in the kitchen, she said that she sees it at the moment, when we talk. Called her mom to take her home, and when I came back, there were still no signs of mouse... I asked her again about night, and she said that she doesn't quite understand what was happening, was disorientated, whole night passed like one hour, she screamed and cried the whole night like a psycho. I'm terribly sorry for the mistakes and such a long letter, but I'm really worried, and don't know what to do. Could this really be from stress, or maybe the pills might induced this?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 10th, 2018
Hello and welcome to EHF !

I went through your query and i believe this weight loss is the trigger for this psychiatric outbreak. That is why it is so important to have a psychiatric evaluation before trying any weight loss program. Not to speak of the way he tried to lose weight which is totally not safe and not recommended. He should have signed up to an FDA approved weight loss program and should have relied more on exercise instead of trying pills. He needs a good Psychiatrist to help him with this breakdown and a good FDA aproved weight loss program to help him lose it healthy way.

Take care
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Stress
Quick Reply
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Panic Attacks , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.