Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

Can schizophrenics smoke weed? after seeing this picture!

After seeing this picture: http://www.bcss.org/documents/pdf/Cannibis andPsychosis.pdf
wouldn’t you say that if your brain has been damaged by schizophrenia or psychosis, you shouldn’t smoke weed, or else your brain will run out of blood? Because marijuana and schizophrenia both restrict blood flow to the brain!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 22nd, 2009
Experienced User
Hi
I agree that people who are suffering from any mental condition, should abstain from all drug use. Drugs do alot of damage to the brain, they can interact with medications, and cause hallucinations, etc. It is very sad to know that some people continue to use drugs, when they have a mental illness.
|

replied August 1st, 2009
If you have psychosis or a tendency to schizophrenia, definitely marijuana should be abstained from, as well as alcohol, caffeine and other drugs. Interestingly, even smoking cigarettes reduces oxygen in the brain and contributes towards brain damage. Perhaps this is why so many smokers have schizophrenia. My daughters mental condition always radically improves when she quits smoking cigarettes.

Regards the brains of schizophrenics, elsewhere I was led to believe brain scan abnormalities shown are a result of prescribed antipsychotic use. Without drugs, the brain of a schizophrenic is normal.
|

User Profile
replied August 18th, 2009
Rachael077 wrote:
Regards the brains of schizophrenics, elsewhere I was led to believe brain scan abnormalities shown are a result of prescribed antipsychotic use. Without drugs, the brain of a schizophrenic is normal.

I think you could be wrong in saying that the brain of a schizophrenic is normal.
This could be of interest to you: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/news-articles/06 04/06041201
|

replied August 23rd, 2009
Actually smoking weed is the main factor which triggered my schizophrenia. I was a heavy user (everyday, one to three times at least) for 7 months. I loved it at first, but the more I used it, the worse I got. I started having really bad trips on it which included anxiety. So I looked it up, and sure enough, some cases of schizo were linked to cannabis. My advice to you, if you are not straight mentally, stay away from drugs. They will mess you up bad. Some of my other mental illnesses have gotten so much worse because of it.
|
Tags: smoke, brain
Quick Reply
Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....