Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stroke Forum

can my father recover and cure?

User Profile
My father 70 years old hasn't HTN or DM, before 14 days he suddenly suffer from memory loss specially names of thing and persons, after CT scan and other examination the physician diagnosed is Transient ischemic attack and Transcortical Sensory Aphasia, and the prescribed medication is piracetam and other medications to prevent recurrent stroke, My question about recovery, can my father recover and cure and remember all things as before? and can speech therapy work in this case?
Thank you.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied March 24th, 2011
Stroke Answer A21167
Hello, and thanks for your medical question on E Health Forum. I am glad that I can help you.

Symptoms and disability following a stroke vary greatly depending on factors such as the part of the brain affected, how quickly treatment was given, and the extent of the damage to the brain.

Recovery of brain function will take variable amount of time. But if the extent of damage is severe, the deficit in brain function may be irreversible.

Speech therapy works when the brain function is normal, but the defect is in the speech muscles.

Stroke rehabilitation is a very important part of recovery for many people who have had a stroke. It helps build the strength, coordination, endurance and confidence. In stroke rehabilitation, you may work on how to move, talk, think and care for yourself. The goal of stroke rehabilitation is to help you learn how to do things that you did before the stroke.

You may consult a neurologist and a physiotherapist for future interventions and treatment.

I hope this helps.

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What happens during a stroke? What increases your chances of having a stroke? Stroke basics and info on the two types of stroke here....
Strokes can happen with virtually no warning signs. Learn the symptoms of stroke so that you can take immediate action in case of emergency....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Stroke , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.