Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Heart Disease and Heart Attack Forum

Can mitral vavle regurgitation be worse depending on position?

User Profile
I've been diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse and regurgitation. The doctor doing the echo said it was only minor, and I don't need surgery, just meds for the arrhythmia it's causing.
However, when arrhythmia is not the only thing I'm experiencing. I feel quite the discomfort and dizziness when I lay heavily towards my left side/chest. My question is, it is possible that the regurgitation is much more severe than what appeared in the echo due to not resting heavily on my left/chest, but more on my backside position I was in while doing the test?
Or does it not change according to position, and I'm only noticing the symptoms more due to laying on my left side?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 15th, 2017
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

You didnt specify whether the MVP was associated with significant progression of MR. Repeat echo can be sought if there is more discomfort in a certain position which you feel exacerbates the symptoms. If there is no significant regurgitation then no intervention is necessary and repeat echo can be done in 2 to 3 years time.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Heart Disease and Heart Attack , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.