Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Psoriasis Forum

Can I prevent getting psoriasis all over my body?

User Profile
Hi there, my dad had psoriasis all over the body, I would say 10%. he always thought that it was because his life sucks and he is stressed all the time. Anyway I've been experiencing what I think it is psoriasis in my elbows and I've only used Cortizone to control the itching. Is there a way I could prevent get psoriasis all over my body like my dad? What does help? I'm an engineering student and I'm very chill and easy going and only get a little nervous when tests are coming but nothing more than that so I think this comes from my genes. BTW is winter here (some people say it gets it in the winter)
Thank you for any useful help!

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 8th, 2014
Psoriasis Answer A45958
good day!
thank you for asking. Psoriasis is a multi factorial complex , chronic and inflammatory disease of keratinocytes in the epidermis with many types from chronic stationary, plaque, guttate,pustular , inverse, eruptive etc and it is all diagnosed clinically and then one can talk about the odds.
So my advice seek a dermatologist and you can discuss following options with him to see what is best for you.
Topical corticosteroids (eg, triamcinolone acetonide 0.025-0.1% cream, betamethasone 0.025-0.1% cream
Ophthalmic corticosteroids (eg, prednisolone acetate 1% ophthalmic, dexamethasone ophthalmic)
Intramuscular corticosteroids (eg, triamcinolone)
Coal tar 0.5-33%
Keratolytic agents (eg, anthralin)
Vitamin D analogs (eg, calcitriol ointment, calcipotriene, calcipotriene and betamethasone topical ointment)
Topical retinoids (eg, tazarotene aqueous gel and cream 0.05% and 0.1%)
Antimetabolites (eg, methotrexate)
Immunomodulators (eg, tacrolimus topical 0.1%, cyclosporine, alefacept, ustekinumab)
TNF inhibitors (eg, infliximab, etanercept, adalimumab)
Systemic antipsoriatic agent (eg, ustekinumab)
Artificial tears

And some new therapies like
Light therapy with solar or ultraviolet radiation
Stress reduction
Climatotherapy
Adjuncts, such as sunshine, sea bathing, moisturizers, oatmeal baths
Punctal occlusion (and ocular lubricants): For keratoconjunctivitis sicca
Bandage contact lens: To retard corneal melting

also some surgical options too.

So in nut shell pay a visit to a rheumatologist or a dermatologist to help you better.
Hope it helps
take care
khan

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
What is eczema? We review basic facts on types of eczema and provide the medical definition of this common skin disorder here....
Children are more likely to get eczema. But are you at risk of this skin condition? Also, info on what causes eczema in this section....
Do you know how to identify symptoms of eczema? We review the common signs of eczema in adults and kids and let you know when to seek medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Psoriasis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.