Medical Questions > Nutrition > Weight Loss Forum

Can I lose weight with this Lifestyle change?

OK, so I am a 20 year old overweight Male and wanting to lose weight, I don't want to go one one of those crash diets as they never last and cost a bundle. Besides, I don't want to be on a "diet" rather I just want a general healthy lifestyle change from junk food, Soda etc.

I have been eating like this for 6 days now.

OK, so here's what I eat, drink and do:

Most days for Breakfast:
Small bowl of Muesli with skim milk and a cut up banana and a sprinkle of Sultanas.
or
Small bowl of porridge with skim milk and a cut up banana and sprinkle of Sultanas.
or
A small bowl of low-fat yogurt with a swirl of honey.

and the muesli and porridge I buy I make sure is low in calories, sodium and sugar and they are all low

Most days for Lunch:
Ham and salad sandwich on wholemeal bread.
(Lettuce, Cucumber, Beetroot, 1 slice of Cheese, Spinach Leaves, 1 Slice of Ham)
(I think Ham is generally salty so I only have 1 slice a day max and only 2 slices of the Wholemeal Bread a day max too.)
or
1 Egg scrambled with 1 slice of Ham and a handful of Spinach Leaves mixed in with 2 pieces of Toast with Avocado on them.
or
2 Eggs scrambled with 1 slice of Ham and a handful of Spinach Leaves mixed in but no Toast.

Most days for Dinner:
OK, so here is the part I know most people are going to go argggh, but, I can't cook.. and I am terrible at portion sizes, so I have 1 Healthy Choice frozen meal every night for dinner. I always choose the low calorie ones (I won't go over ones that are 450 Calories) and as low sodium ones as I can find (I won't go over ones that are 800mg) I pick the ones that are as balanced as possible with meat, veggies etc too.

So, I know they are not ideal but mixed in with the low fat, low sodium meals I have for Breakfast and Lunch I am still under the recommended healthy Calorie and Sodium intake for one day.

Plus I may be changing to "Lite & Easy" for dinners only soon.

Snacks:
If I am ever peckish in between meals or late at night I will have a small handful of Sultanas or Unsalted Cashews or A piece of Fruit or maybe occasionally a small bowl of Fresh Water Tuna.

Liquids:
I only drink water. A minimum of 1.25 Litres a day.

Cheat Day:
Now..I do have a cheat day, most people have them once a week, I have it once a FORTNIGHT, And I suppose I don't have a cheat DAY to put it better, more a cheat DINNER. But even then I don't want to overdo it, say for example if I was to go to McDonald's or something I wouldn't go and get a Double Quarter Pounder, I would go for the healthier option of Burger they have (I know they're still not healthy but hey, It's my cheat day!)..like maybe a Chicken Burger or something and only a small Fries.

Exercise:
As I said I am overweight at the moment so I can't do TOO MUCH right now, but at the moment I do 40 minutes of walking on the treadmill at 6.2 KPH a day while holding small ½ KG dumbbells in each hand and with the treadmill inclining upwards to the level 4 incline every other minute.

I do 100 star jumps a day and am planning on buying a skipping rope to do maybe 5-10 minutes of skipping every day too.

I also have a proper dumbbell set which i do 3-4 sets of 10 reps with each arm a day in different types of positional lifts to work different parts of the arm and body etc.

Also, I exercise 6 days and rest 1 day per week.

OK, So people, please help, it would be very much appreciated, do you think this lifestyle change will help me lose weight??.

I have asked this question before in other places but just got spam and people saying about their own diets, but I am just after whether people think this diet I am on now which I listed will help me lose weight?

Thanks, Daniel =).
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 25th, 2019
(online)
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
You are on right track. Continue your good work.
One thing I would like to add is to start green tea as well.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
What is metabolic syndrome and how is it characterized? Get started by learning more about metabolic or insulin resistance syndrome here....
Is insulin resistance related to metabolic syndrome? Does a poor diet cause metabolic syndrome? And are you at risk of developing this metabolic disorder?...
Does metabolic syndrome manifest any symptoms? Learn the characteristic signs and symptoms of metabolic problems, plus know when to seek medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Weight Loss , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.