Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

can I just go on medication and counselling?

User Profile

I've been getting panick attacks lately, sleep badly, lost almost 30kg in a year and half. I got separated in Dec 2012 and divorced in Oct 2013. Been placed under debt review and had to move in with my dad as I cannot cope financially anymore. My daughter is 7 years old and I get so irritated with her. I also starting self harming by cutting myself. Is it necessary for me to be admitted into hospital or can I just go on medication and counselling.

Thank you

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied April 23rd, 2014
Depression Answer A46833
Thank you for asking!
I am sorry for your troubles.And such episodes of anxiety and panic attacks where suicidal thoughts and own kids voice becomes irritant is no doubt worth admission into a psychiatric facility. Get your psych evaluation done ASP. and dont lose hope. You have the right to remain happy. PSychotherapy session, group discussions, vocational and recreational therapies is all i advise to get the trouble alleviated. You need help and get one.ANd never think about a suicide.Life is very beautiful.You just need to ignore the painful stimuli to enjoy it.
Take care

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Depression , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.