Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

can i have made the pill inactive?

I am a 21year old female and I have been on the same pill since I was 19. The gynocologyst that proscribed me this pill said I did not need to have a week off for menstration so in this whole time I have not. I am sexually active and my partner and I am using the pill as my main form of contraceptive, I have recently been told by someone that I may have made the pill inactive as a contraceptive by not have a cycle and am just wondering how true this is? I am extremely nervous as I am in no position for precnancy.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 26th, 2012
Community Volunteer
No, it is not true at all. For the pill to work, you have to have a certain level of the hormones in your body. Taking it continuously does not alter that.

Do you at least take a break once every 3 or 6 months? Continuous use for periods longer than 12 months has not really been studied. It is likely fine, but we just do not know at the moment.

Take care!
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...