Medical Questions > Womens Health > Breasts Forum

Can i cause soreness with too many self exams.

User Profile
Hi,
I am a 21 year old female college student and I just finished my menstrual cycle 10/26, and started my new birth control pack that day. My grandma has a history of breast cancer, so I am very adamant of doing self-breast exams,so I have a tendency to check extensively, sometimes daily and multiple times in that day. I noticed a sharp pain/soreness in my left breast during one of my classes that Monday, which caused me to go home and check. Both of my breasts, mainly my left, are sore. I have already made an appointment with a campus doctor for Tuesday, but I am very anxious about it. I just wanted to know if it is possible to bruise or cause breast tissue to become swollen from checking it too much, causing the soreness? Thanks!

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 10th, 2013
Breasts Answer A45077
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
Excessive stimulation can sometimes lead to soreness, however, breast tissue also responds to hormonal changes during menstrual cycle, and since you have got started on hormonal pills, there can be pain/soreness due to breast tissue swelling as a response to changed hormonal status. If the symptoms have started only after getting started on the hormonal pills, you should consider discussing about its further use with your treating doctor/gynecologist. Since there is history of breast cancer in the family, go ahead with getting screening tests done including tumor marker test to predict your chances of getting/not getting breast cancer, and it will also help to take decision to continue/stop with the hormonal birth control use.
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Breast cancer kills more women in the United States than any cancer except lung cancer. But what types of breast cancer are possible?...
Why do some women get breast cancer and others don't? Click here to learn what risks you can avoid....
Do you know the warning signs for breast cancer? When should you see your doctor about possible breast cancer symptoms? More information here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Breasts , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.