Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Acid Reflux Forum

Can GERD cause upper throat pain?

User Profile
Pain near my adams apple. I do get occasional heart burn, more than average, and I get soar throat feeling in throat. Feels weird to swallow also. Is this GERD? I've been fearing it's Esophagus Cancer.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile robichris
|

User Profile
replied May 5th, 2012
Experienced User
Do get an endoscopy.

The symptoms you describe are probably due to GERD. Acid refluxing into the esophagus can migrate to the upper esophageal sphincter as well where it can attack the throat and voice box and UES reflux (LarygoPharygeal Reflux) can cause refluxate to enter and damage the lungs as well.

But acid attacking the esophagus will cause esophagitis where cells may mutate to become metaplastic Barrett's which can in a few cases progress to become cancer.

So get yourself checked out so you know the score and put your mind at rest.
|

User Profile
replied May 5th, 2012
robichris wrote:
Do get an endoscopy.

The symptoms you describe are probably due to GERD. Acid refluxing into the esophagus can migrate to the upper esophageal sphincter as well where it can attack the throat and voice box and UES reflux (LarygoPharygeal Reflux) can cause refluxate to enter and damage the lungs as well.

But acid attacking the esophagus will cause esophagitis where cells may mutate to become metaplastic Barrett's which can in a few cases progress to become cancer.

So get yourself checked out so you know the score and put your mind at rest.

I wish I could get an endoscopy, but my mom doesn't think its necessary. What do I do now?
|

User Profile
replied May 6th, 2012
Experienced User
yes this can be very serious & it can cause VCD/vocal cord dysfunction if herd is left in-treated u can have serious side. Effects . To have it so young could mean a problem with ur sphictor. See , an ENT, or be safe and get the endoscope , u go to sleep for.. Now stay positive, drink cold water to dilute the burning sessattion, NO , Csffene, chocolate, pop, tomatoes/ tomato sauces.. Elivate the head of your bed..if it gets worse tell ur mo
again. KEEP A Diary, about everything goodlyck we
|

replied January 3rd, 2013
Upper throat pain
There is another thing this could be; it could also be LPR, or laryngopharyngeal reflux. This doesn't involve the esophagus but the larynx. Can cause these kinds of symptoms too. The only way to be sure is to get scoped. Of course, you can always try treating the symptoms the same way as if you had the diagnosis and see if they improve.
|

User Profile
replied January 3rd, 2013
Experienced User
Bead gal , yes I agree take proactive approach. Is best scoping is painless.
German14 , your mom should understand that unless she is a doctor, being proactive and safe is smarter. If you have had reflux at night, raise your bed head, with pillows.. Also if you get an attack, get some cold water, drink it stay seated up right for an hour, if you het relief from this your les is not doing its job.. Do not eat 4 hours before bed, including. Snacks. Be proactive read about foods that make Gerd worse, take easy steps to lesson it. If it gets worse even with using these techniques then tell ur mom, DO NOT IGNORE!
|
Must Read
Almost everyone experience heartburn or acid indigestion at times. But what is acid reflux and how could it cause more serious problems?...
Can you tell the difference between common heartburn symptoms and signs of more serious digestive problems? Learn when and how to take action for acid reflux....
Heartburn is common, but it is not trivial. It's important to diagnose and treat heartburn or acid reflux as early as possible. Review diagnostic procedure now...