Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Fibromyalgia Forum

Can fibro cause neuro problems?

User Profile
Hello all. I am getting a little frustrated with doctors lol. I keep getting bounced around & no one seems to have a DX for what is going on with me. The neurologist I am seeing now seems to think I have fibromyalgia but I am a little confused because a lot of what I have going on (other than the pain) seems to be neuro symptoms. I am hesitant to believe I have fibro since it seems to be a catch all DX for when they cannot figure out what is wrong & I just don't believe my symptoms are the same for fibro.

So my questions is... can fibro cause/does anyone else have these symptoms with fibro??? Migraines, numbness/tingling of extremities & face, kaliedoscoped vision, small tremors in hands, recurring sinus/upper respiratory infections, dizziness, muted sensations, unexplained bruising on lower back, hives/rashes, swelling of extremities? I've tried to do some research online about fibro but most of what I read deals with the muscle pain, sheath tears, & cognitive issues. Any info would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!!!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 17th, 2010
Understanding doubts
I have been diagnosed with fibro and blood work has ruled out several of the other auto immune diseases such as lupus and others. I suffer from all the symptoms that you said you have but do not have the bruising. I am into my 6th month after diagnosis I am still learning how to live myself so can't be of much help but did want you to know that you are not alone and that all people with fibro do not have all the same symptoms and they are not as severe or mild in all cases. Good luck because you will need it, I know I do.
|

User Profile
replied August 17th, 2010
Experienced User
Thanks for the reply. The neuro ruled out MS & blood work is negative for Lupus. Other things have been going on since I posted this topic & this is just crazy. My neuro said if my MRI was clean then I more than likely had fibro so looks like fibro it is. I was able to find some really good info on fibro off of Facebook thats been pretty helpful. Good luck!! Hugs!!
|

replied September 9th, 2010
Tremors, etc with Fibro
I too have the same tremors and symptoms you mentioned. Yes,its the fibro, according to my doctor. I have severe fibro and let me tell you, it does not get any easier as the years pass. Trying alternative methods to treat mine. Not working so far! Good luck with yours.
|

replied October 17th, 2010
I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I also get the tremors from time to time. My pain tends to differ a lot from the symptoms I hear other people have with fibromyalgia, there are not places that are more tender to touch. I have a deep inner pain that makes it often very complicated to move. My biggest concern however is CONFUSION and TEMPORARY MEMORY LOSS. From the testing I have had I do not appear to have MS, or LUPUS. It's very scary and frustrating when this happens, and I can not seem to connect it to a direct cause of anything that brings it on. Any ideas to help, or insight would be appreciated! Thanks!
|

replied January 3rd, 2011
Tremors and lyrica
hello everyone....wow I am in the process of this diagnosis thing. Did the neuro thing..no ms. Or other auto immunes for now. however I also have these tremors. Mine are like nerve internals. Doc just prescribed lyrica for some nerve issues. Any experience with lyrica? from a surgery in April. The tremors or shaking I call it wake me up at night then i have to struggle to get back to sleep. I hear the vibrations behind my ears. I just keep heaRing anxiety and I am getting tired of hearing that word What about yours? I just recently got tubes in my ear for a continual stuffy feeling in my ears for two months. The Ent Said there was no ear infection however my eaRs feel stuffy and ringing. Anyone have vertigo with this beast?
|

replied January 18th, 2011
lyrica
Hi,
I have also experienced the tremors feeling and a feeling of my muscles feeling like jello and I have no control over them. I also have developed bad anxiety which is constant. I am on lyrica which for me has worked fabulously most days.I also have really bad dizziness. Along with all my other stuff I have tmj really bad, and back in april 2010 had a spontaneous csf leak ( Leaking of spinal fluid).So with all these other factors I never know whats causing what. Its soooo frustrating, I feel like a hot mess. What I wouldntdo just to feel healthy again.
|

User Profile
replied April 3rd, 2012
OMG I feel all of this I have not got checked for Ms but my doc said I got fibro. I am only 28 and I don't want to live like this Im in the er every other day Cuz my anxiety. I think I'm having a hear attack or stroke. Cuz my whole body gets numb n tingling. I have no regular life no more I hate this does anyone get cold hands n feet but a real jot hot body ugh I need help or feed back plz
|

User Profile
replied May 22nd, 2012
Experienced User
Sounds like Intestinal permeability (Leaky Gut Syndrome) I'm beggining to think that Fibro is just a name for people who have an unexplained diagnosis. I think its actually LGS.
|

User Profile
replied September 18th, 2012
Experienced User
Lyme disease can also cause similar symptoms including the neurological ones, like tremors. Regular testing for lyme is only 50% accurate so you'd have to see a lyme literate doctor and get the right tests from the right lab.
|

replied October 1st, 2012
Fibromyalgia
I'm only 24 years old and I have a very bad case of fibromyalgia and a slipped disk in my lower back. I'm in pain all the time. Can't sleep. Don't want to eat. Shake very bad. Feel like a zombie from all the pain meds Sad
|

User Profile
replied October 2nd, 2012
Experienced User
Hi Megan24cherry!
I am so sorry to hear you are having a really tough time. You are not alone in your pain and frustration and desire for some answers. I'd like to be an encouragement to you if I can & maybe give you some ideas that may help.
What type of care are you receiving? You mentioned pain meds...are you seeing a family doc, neurologist, chiropractor? What type of tests have you had done? Are you shaking from pain, tremors, or medication withdrawal? Are you receiving treatment for the slipped disc?
It is very important for you to find help to start sleeping. Many fibro patients actually have sleep disorders, so you may want to consider looking into that, although I am thinking you are probably not sleeping because you are in pain. You will actually have better control of the pain, if you are rested.
Please find a compassionate doctor who will treat all your symptoms so you can get on the path to a better quality life. If one doctor doesn't help or treats you like your crazy, find another one and don't give up! One of my favorite things to help when I am in pain is a heating pad...just don't leave on more than 15-20 min. or it will make it worse. If you have swelling from the disc, then maybe try an ice pack.
You may need to try a few different pain meds and/or strengths to get the right balance for you. Some meds can prevent good sleep, lack of desire to eat and shaking during withdrawal along with a zombie indifference.
Do you have any support from family, friends? Maybe you can ask someone to go with you to your doctor appointments. Sometimes I have found docs treat me more seriously when they have a second person that confirms the situation. Feel free to private message me. I know how terribly alone I felt when my world fell apart and I was so much pain. Just don't give up and keep looking for solutions that are right for you. Best wishes!!!
|

replied March 10th, 2013
I'm also new to the whole idea of Fibromyagia. My symptoms are all the time, but burning and nerve pain. My rheumatologist says that he believes it's a hypersensitivity of my nervous system, but I'm on Lyrica and Xanax so who knows? I have been in severe pain for 2.5 months and my issue started with my foot. They have ruled out serious stuff, but I still feel terrible. I am eight months postpartum. Has anyone had this after a pregnancy?

I'm struggling with this potential disease and raising two young kids. Please let me know your thoughts and what has worked for you! I have tried a lot, but haven't tried saunas yet. Has that helped anyone? Also, have any of you been tested for toxins?

Thanks!!
|

User Profile
replied March 10th, 2013
Experienced User
jjcc28,

Hi there. I have a few questions related to your post.
Did you have an epidural during delivery?
You said your pain started with your foot. Where is the pain now? Did it travel up your foot to other areas of your body? Is it one foot or two? What area of the foot did it start with? (like the bottom or top or side)?
Do you have other FM tender points, or is it just mainly in your foot?
Was there a rash or any other signs related to the onset of your foot hurting? Were you sick right before or after the foot pain or have an injury?
Did you have a bug bite? (Many of those with Lyme Disease do not remember being bite by a tick or remember a rash. My diagnosis started with FM & now I'm looking into Lyme Disease because the symptoms are very similar. Just know that the standard tests from the CDC were for surveillance only & will give the wrong results many of the time. I was tested 2 different times for Lyme & they were negative. When I found a lyme literate doctor who knew which tests were the right ones, i tested positive). If you are serious about being tested for Lyme, then you will have to do some learning about which are the right tests to do from a good Lyme website as most doctors do not know the difference).
Soaking in epsom salt in a bath, or a jacuzzi has worked for me as well as a heating pad. Maybe heat will work for you, but you can try ice too in case the pain is related to swelling.
A product called Biofreeze has helped me a lot. It seems to go deeper into the tissue. I ordered mine online after a massage therapist used it on me.
Have you tried an anti-inflammatory med like Advil?
Does it feel like Sciatica? (pain that involves the sciatic nerve)?
What tests have you have done? Did any of them show anything?
I have two kids too and understand how difficult it can be to raise them and be in pain. Hang in there. Do not give up and keep looking for answers.
When you reached a point with a doctor where you are not moving forward, then try another one or one from a different discipline. Sometimes a different doctor may think of a different angle to consider. Have you seen a physical therapist, chiropractor, or neurologist? A neurologist would definitely be able to give you a good idea about how the nerves could be involved and may have some different ideas on meds to treat that will help. If you can rule out rheumatological issues, then another type of doctor may help.
I have had great relief from low level laser light therapy for pain. (This is NOT the infrared light therapy you see sold on TV, this is a professional laser). Maybe a physical therapist would have one or a neurologist.
I'll be looking for your answers or you can private message me. Best wishes.
|

replied April 4th, 2013
@cimtrbl2, I have FM, and have many of your symptoms. I have severe tingling and burning in my extremities and face, mild scintillating scotoma, and dizziness. When the FM first started, I had a severe tremor in my right hand, but it faded away in about 5 years. So yes, there are neuro symptoms that have no other apparent cause.

I suspect FM is caused by small numbers of common organisms attacking bloodless areas, thus dodging most of the immune system. I suspect the main culprit is the same tiny spirochetes that cause chronic gum disease. I also suspect the same organism causes inflammation that results in plaque buildup in coronary arteries. Sparse organisms in bloodless areas are almost impossible to treat.
|

User Profile
replied September 16th, 2013
Ive never wrote to any of these sights but I find comfort in reading everyones stories...I too have been seeking some sort of an answer to my problems, I was also concerned a out ms but my mri came back good so I'm wondering if perhaps I'm following suit with my mother who was diagnosed with FM about 6 years ago. My symptoms are differentfrom hers which understand no two patients are alike w symptoms. I started with tremors in my left index finger when I started university in 2006...over the course of my 4 year degree my tremor spread from my left point finger to my whole left hand and arm and then to my right hand and fingers...to my legs, then my face and now my whole body. With the tremors I also started having severe muscle cramps and soreness and numbness in my legs...when I'm driving I often think I spilt something wet on me from the cup holder but I'm always dry...it just feels like I'm wet. Climbing a flight of stairs became hard work and exhausting...I'm 28 now, too young to feel this way. Then I noticed I see "tracers" small specs in the distance, theyre transparent and move as I move my eyes, kind of dart around...sometimes I see a few and sometimes I can see up to a dozen at a time...from the time I graduated in 2010 till now I always feel nerve pain/sensations...most the time I feel the tight sensations from my finger tios up to my elbows but I can have any random never sensation anywheres in my body...theyre not so much painful just annoying and frustrating. I get headaches now a d never used to. The worst by far symptom started two years ago....my brain shuts off and I cant think at all....I mean at all.....I feel so alone with this new symptom because how do u explain to someone how you feel when you can't think....sometimes its a complete blockage of thoughts but other times I can't remember anything...names words, what I was doing, where I'm going, my own age, WHERE I PUT THINGS!!!! GRRRR....I'm so tired of disappointing ppl because I forgot to pick something or someone up or to go do something for them.....everytbing takes such an effort to think! I'm starting to stutter when I speak because my thoughts are so broken, words missing, completely forget what I'm thinking midsentence.....I know I'm not stupid but man does it ever make you feel it....its making me depressed at times....I'm a very happy positive person that has made the best of a lot really hard situations but I find it hard to stay positive with a this going on plus always feeling tirex and u rested.....today my hands and feet are tingling and itching and my left baby finger knuckle is really paining...my brain isnt working....it took my way too long to put this all together....on top of this I get vertigo when I'm over tired and I get completely overwhelmed with too many noises or loud noises....instant mind frustration where it takes all my strength to not scream at the top of my lungs in frustration....and it can happen so quick....and its so hard to let it go once your frustrated...I hate feeling this way cause its not in my nature Sad I find my mind makes me frustrate more then anything but I try not to let it cause once I start stress out my tremors get really bad so its a catch 22....when I sit I lose sensation very quick in my legs or if I rest my arm on my elbow my forearms and hands go numb really quick. Heat never bothered me before I love the heat but now I find I'm worse all around in the heat Sad so you can see why I was concerned about ms but I don't have ms apparently so what do you guys think? Does any of this sound like FM? I appreciate any thoughts. Thxs Melanie
|

replied February 10th, 2014
Hi most of wot it r experiening I have to u should go on the net and have a look at the long list of symptom s for fibro they r over 60
|

replied February 10th, 2014
Hi most of wot it r experiening I have to u should go on the net and have a look at the long list of symptom s for fibro they r over 60
|
This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.
Must Read
Fibromyalgia causes pain in the body. Learn the basic facts about fibromylagia and how doctors define this syndrome here....
Are people diagnosed with fibromyalgia born with a lower tolerance for pain? Are you at more or less risk of fibromyalgia? More info and causes and risk here....
Symptoms of fibromyalgia can be mistaken for other conditions. Can you identify common signs and symptoms of fibromyalgia?...