Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Can Citalopram / Celexa cause nightmares? (Page 1)

I have been taking Citalopram (Celexa in US) for about three weeks now and every night for the past two weeks Ive had a vivid dream or a nightmare. I quite often have dreams but not this frequent or clear. They dont bother me all that much, infact I find them quite interesting, however Im simply intrigued as to what may be causing this! I also was taking Zopiclone (Lunesta in the USA) every so often for about three weeks to help my insomnia, but dont think it could still have this effect on me after two weeks of not taking it.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper cerafin
|

replied August 1st, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
This is totally normal - most SSRIs cause this to start with. It'll wear off but you'll probably find if you miss a dose or when you wean off them, you'll get nightmares again. I enjoyed them too - more action adventure dreams and very vivid lol!

As to why they cause this side effect I don't know.
|

replied August 1st, 2008
Thanks
Cheers, I only hope the dreams dont get too frightening! So far I have had a car crash, my lounge has been full of worms, Ive played poker in a swimming pool, been to war against Israel and been a speaker at my own funeral! lol bizarre stuff!
|

replied August 1st, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Oh heck yes. Jules is absolutly right on. Most of your Seratonin Reuptake Inhibitors will do this. When I was on Lemectal ( I think it was) I had some hillasious dreams.
|

replied August 1st, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I also had some amazing sexy dreams Mr. Green
|

replied August 1st, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Jules wrote:
I also had some amazing sexy dreams Mr. Green

LMBO Jules, I was not going to go into any detail, but I have to agree with ya. Razz
|

replied August 14th, 2008
Re: Thanks
katieevans490 wrote:
Cheers, I only hope the dreams dont get too frightening! So far I have had a car crash, my lounge has been full of worms, Ive played poker in a swimming pool, been to war against Israel and been a speaker at my own funeral! lol bizarre stuff!

I once had to take depression pills and they made me have dreams or wierd stuff. what caught me was the bit about fighting isreal. i used to fight in the war and its not all its cracked up to be its alot better in dreams. but tis good now coz ive retired and live at home with my kids Very Happy I'm not really sure what to do about the dreams but remember there just figures of oyur imagination, they never come real (i think).
|

replied January 19th, 2009
Sudden onset of nightmares...
i have been on citalopram for over three years and i am just starting to get nightmares...very vivid frightening nightmares! i keep waking up and having to calm myself down because i am terrified when i wake up. can these be caused by the citalopram even though i have gone three years with no problems? also i started taking a stimulant for weight loss, could that be causing it or causing the citalopram to do it?
|

replied January 20th, 2009
solution
I guess you can ignore my previous post, I just found out that my new med has serious interactions with my citalopram which has been causing the nightmares (and could have killed me), I guess I will be switching from citalopram to another antidepressant that doesn't interfere.
|

replied March 16th, 2009
Vividly interesting...OR Horrible dreams
I've been on celexa for about 4 months and whenever i miss a dose you can bet that I'll have a nightmare..The crazy thing is that I don't sleep alone, I've fell out of bed 2wice from fighting..ducking and dodging in a dream..woke myself and my partner up screaming and cursing someone out in my dream..and once I was choking someone in a dream and awoke with my hands wrapped around my partners arm, choking it..like acting out my dream..and just recently the worst of all I murdered a friend of mine in serious cold blood! God..its crazy...BUT the good dreams are really fun Razz
|

replied March 18th, 2009
Celexa and vivid night terrors
I am terrified. My dreams are vivid in detail. Last night I woke, standing in my kitchen, out f breath, sweating and shaking as I watched my daughter blow her brains out in my dream. It was so real I had to call her in the middle of the night. I am not fighting sleep because every night the same thing...night terror reigns
|

replied May 10th, 2009
Celexa and Dreams
I have been on Celexa since mid-January 09 and have too experienced extremely vivid dreams / nightmares. Mine began about a month into treatment - mostly about death and murder (not me murdering someone, but always seeing other people murdered or someone trying to murder me). It is May 09 now and they are becoming less severe and less frequent. Now my dreams are balancing themselves out - still vidid; however, about normal things, shopping, etc.
|

replied August 3rd, 2009
drug interaction with celexa?
I am curious what the drug was that interacted poorly with Celexa.
|

replied October 5th, 2011
bad things to take with ss'is
normaly its saint johns wort, but on rare occasions tramadol or sumatriptan can cause extreme side effects often leading to seratonin syndrome or seizures, but alot of drugs cant be taken with citalopram from anti inflammitories or even asprin. so id check anything your taken against ssi's before you take anything with them
|

replied September 14th, 2009
citalopram nightmares
I am having these vivid dreams now too. I hate them!! I wake up panicked! Even the good ones I don't like because I am left confused in the morning as to what is real.
I NEVER use to dream before. I would put my head to the pillow, and I would be out cold! Now I wake up exhausted from my dreams!
I want them to stop! Anyone have any better antidepressant suggestions?
|

User Profile
replied September 14th, 2009
Experienced User
im with you i love the dreams i feel like ive acomplished something haha. im disabled from spinal surgeries so i love the running and things i do on these meds . love it lol.
|

replied November 5th, 2009
celexa nightmares
I switched from lexapro to celexa last week and I have had non stop nightmares every nite since! I dreamt of the lochness monster and a huge hippo eating my ex bf, being set on fire in Rite Aid by two guys I went to highschool with, being humilated and kicked out of a house by someone I used to date, etc.. I dunno how much longer I can take of this crap bc I dont like them at all.. Sometimes I wonder if they actually happened or not (the more real life could happen dreams) lol
|

replied November 8th, 2009
I have been taking Celexa for a little over six months. At first my dreams started as simply vivid and lifelike. Lately they have turned into disturbing dreams.....sometimes I remain in a funk for the day if the dream was really bad. I also have the problem sometimes determining if little things in my dreams really happened in real life or if it was part of a dream...things like a conversation with someone or a text message.....little things like that. It's just so weird....I am glad to know I'm not alone....
|

replied November 13th, 2009
Daughters dreaming
My daughter has recently told me about a very disturbing dream, she is also on Celexa. She said the dream left her feeling like it had really happened to her. It was something she couldn't shake all day long.
She has had other ones, but this last one was the most disturbing for her.
Is there anything that she can do to reduce the dreaming?
|

replied December 4th, 2009
I'm with all of you guys that have horrible nightmares on celexa - i'm going to go to the doctor in the near future to try and get an AD that doesn't do this. In my dreams I'm eaten by zombies regularily, involved in horrible car accidents, or being chased or watching people be tortured. I've only had 2 really good dreams while on this stuff, and I've been on it almost a year.

Hopefully another AD will be more positive.

Good luck all!
|

replied January 9th, 2010
sd
|
Quick Reply