Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

can celiac disease cause false positive results in hida scan

User Profile
celiac and gallbladder
recently diagnosed with celiac sprue. had hidascan and ef was 14%. they are recommending removal but I am not sure that is what I should resort to at this time. Have read that it the celiac disease can cause false positive results in hida scans because the cck is not being produced in damaged intestines. am i right to be cautious about removal of my gallbladder. might it increase in motility after being on the gluten free diet for a while?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 18th, 2015
Celiac Disease Answer A51450
Hi, and thanks for your query on eHealth forum!

It is very difficult to assess this on net. Yes, if you do not have a gall bladder disease or gall stones, and have a functional gall bladder disorder which is secondary to some motility disorder of the gut, then HIDA scan will show poor EF. This can improve if the gut motility is improved.

So, if the celiac disease is controlled with gluten free diet, and use of immune modulating agents and anti-inflammation agents. If you have celiac disease you will need regular screening for vitamin B12, iron, calcium, folate and TSH levels. People with celiac disease are also often known to suffer from thyroid disorders which also slow down the gut. If you also have metabolic disorders like high cholesterol and diabetes, then these are also known to reduce gastric motility/gall bladder motility.

So, this needs a comprehensive assessment and management of conditions. If still your gall bladder does not function well, causes pain, and affects digestion, then it is best to get it removed. Please discuss all this with your treating doctor before making a decision. Hope this helps. Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Is Celiac disease a food allergy? (it is not) What causes Celiac and what puts you at risk for developing it? Basic facts about Celiac Disease here....
What can trigger celiac disease? And who is at risk of developing the disorder? Click here to learn more....
A range of symptoms manifest during Celiac Disease. Learn what signs and symptoms to look for, and when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gallbladder Disease , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.