Can celica klll you? or make you really sick?

does it get worse as you get older.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Mia1110
|

User Profile
replied October 2nd, 2008
Supporter
If you have celiac disease and eat foods with gluten, your immune system responds by damaging the small intestine. This damage keeps your body from taking in many of the nutrients in the food you eat.

Celiac disease can be very serious. Besides stomach pain, it can cause anemia, malnutrition, infertility, a certain skin rash, and other health problems.

The only treatment for celiac disease is a gluten-free diet...have you consulted a nutritionist yet?
|

replied October 2nd, 2008
Thanks
No not yet i was only offical diaonised this week and have to find one. i am just trying to find out all the info that will be helpful to me until i find one.
|

User Profile
replied October 11th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Celiac disease if left untreated can lead to serious health problems including lymphoma. Treated celiac disease, when properly managed on a GF diet usually means that you will have a normal life without further complication.
|

replied March 22nd, 2010
this disease sucks. if i die from a food allergy i'll be pissed.
|

replied March 27th, 2010
Lol you won't die. You'd have to eat gluten every day for a long period of time in order to die. But yes, I admit it does suck. It's hard to stay away from anything with wheat in it because basically all the good things contain wheat haha, but some gluten free stuff is awesome Smile If you eat wheat you just gotta deal with the consequences, get better and hopefully learn you're lesson.. but I never do lol
|

replied March 23rd, 2011
Yes you can die. My dad was diagnosed with it several years ago. He was getting sick of sticking to the diet and it led to lymphoma then his intestines failed then his bowel failed. His upper and lower abdomen swelled up like a balloon then he went through 72 hours of excruciating pain before he passed away. Stick to the diet 100%. I don't want to see anybody go through what I've experienced with my family. Take it very very seriously PLEASE.
|

replied November 20th, 2011
im 16 and ive been diagnosed for 4-5 years now, the diet is absoloutly horrible to stick to. I find it quite difficult so alot of the time i give in and eat wheat. I was wondering does coeliac disease make your immune system weaker, i seem to be getting quite a few coughs, smoking doesnt help this and im on the road to quitting, been 4 days now. But yeah ive been having some pretty horrible coughs, choking up mucus, fever, sweating, not being able to sleep at night, cant breathe out gently for more than 2 seconds at some times in the day, i havent eaten for 2 days and im starting to become abit worried. Ive read up on the symptoms of pneumonia and these are all listed. I was just wondering does coeliac disease weaken your immune system because if it does this will explain alot. Thanks
|

replied February 20th, 2012
celiac disease diagnosed at 18 and I eat alot of gluten products
I am 18 and I have never before been told I have celiac disease till the doctor sent me for a blood test and it came back with iron and vitamin d deficient, she is now sending me for a celiac screening, as I have all the symptoms plus chrinic back pain. will I now have serious health problems if it comes back positive as I eat alot of gluten, and have done for the passt 18 years?
|

replied February 24th, 2012
Reply to question of whether Celiac can kill you
My mother died of some kind of abdominal anurysm in May of 2006. After extensive research I am 100% convinced she had Celiac Disease since childhood. She was only 61. If you do enough research you will find that these types of anurysms in the abdominal region can happen with celiacs. You can also develop potentially deadly diseases such as bilateral cirrhosis, and many others. It can kill you. Never let gluten be the death of you. My mother never got a real diagnosis for herself. She was too afraid of what the doctor might say. I am not though. Upon researching my mother's health issues, I realized that quite a bit of those 300 symptoms apply to me. I am already in poor health. I don't want to die. If the doctor diagnoses me with Celiac Disease, I will NOT eat gluten. I can't afford to get sicker. Please don't think you can. Eat the proper diet. Please? For my mother, who didn't get to.
|

replied September 7th, 2012
Celiac disease patient
I am 19 years old and was diagnosed at age 14 I was shocked and was on a strict diet for the next 2 years then I just started eating wheat I was becoming a collegiate athlete and felt my disease held me back so I became defensive about it and in denial. Well just a month ago I began to get horribly sick and weak and joint pain and went for a check up with my gastro and I thought I was cured but there is no cure I never took it seriously until now I'm on my way to become healthy again but first hand this scares me to have it no one understands it unless you have it. Stay on the diet because to live a full life you need to you must! I struggle everyday with it and am scared to death when I get sick or feel the symptoms because I don't want it to progress. Please stick to it don't cheat cause your only cheating yourself. I am scared that I have damaged it so much that I might get something else.
|

replied November 18th, 2012
Hello Friends,

You can definitely die from celiac disease, in a variety of ways:
1. Dehydration - Extreme damage to the intestinal lining can lead to death through dehydration. In this case, the lining that is supposed to hold water in your body no longer functions. The gut actually pulls water from your body.
2. Malignancies - Malabsorption of nutrients or consistent damage to cellular structures leads to cancers: lymphoma, leukemia, intestinal, esophageal, etc.
3. Pregnancy complications - Nutrient deficiencies can lead to cardiomyopathy in the mother or birth defects in the fetus from folic acid deficiency, protein deficiency, etc.
4. Immunodeficiency - A weakened immune system can allow common illnesses to become deadly - the flu for example. Other illnesses normally fought off, are not.
5. Autoimmune diseases - Celiac disease, if not diagnosed and treated early, causes the body to react to other things in the body. As the body tries to unsuccessfully attack and remove gluten (because the person keeps eating it), the immune system stays on a heightened alert and starts attacking other things.
6. Malnutrition - Any health problem that comes from malnutrition of any one or more nutrient that can lead to death can be caused by celiac disease.

Best Regards
|

replied November 18th, 2012
Hello Friends,

You can definitely die from celiac disease, in a variety of ways:
1. Dehydration - Extreme damage to the intestinal lining can lead to death through dehydration. In this case, the lining that is supposed to hold water in your body no longer functions. The gut actually pulls water from your body.
2. Malignancies - Malabsorption of nutrients or consistent damage to cellular structures leads to cancers: lymphoma, leukemia, intestinal, esophageal, etc.
3. Pregnancy complications - Nutrient deficiencies can lead to cardiomyopathy in the mother or birth defects in the fetus from folic acid deficiency, protein deficiency, etc.
4. Immunodeficiency - A weakened immune system can allow common illnesses to become deadly - the flu for example. Other illnesses normally fought off, are not.
5. Autoimmune diseases - Celiac disease, if not diagnosed and treated early, causes the body to react to other things in the body. As the body tries to unsuccessfully attack and remove gluten (because the person keeps eating it), the immune system stays on a heightened alert and starts attacking other things.
6. Malnutrition - Any health problem that comes from malnutrition of any one or more nutrient that can lead to death can be caused by celiac disease.

Best Regards
Simon Joseph
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Is Celiac disease a food allergy? (it is not) What causes Celiac and what puts you at risk for developing it? Basic facts about Celiac Disease here....
What can trigger celiac disease? And who is at risk of developing the disorder? Click here to learn more....
A range of symptoms manifest during Celiac Disease. Learn what signs and symptoms to look for, and when to seek help....