Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Allergies Forum

Can Allergies Cause Swollen Patches in Mouth/Throat

About a month ago, out of the blue, I started getting what I think are allergy attacks. It started off with what I assumed to be a nasty, rapid-onset cold, but upon waking the next morning, all my symptoms of clogged sinuses, sneezing, mass amounts of nasal drainage, were gone. This kept happening and slowly morphed into a completely blocked left nasal passage and copious amount of clear fluid draining from both the front and back. Then I started having sneezing fits that would wake me in the night. Then I started having intense itching in the left nostril. Then it all moved to the right nostril. Same symptoms. Always gone by morning. Always start to appear by afternoon and then gradually get worse as the evening progresses. Then a few weeks into this pattern, I felt like I had something on the side of my tongue. But when I looked at it and felt it, there was nothing there. A couple days later, the sensation moved to the back of my tongue. Then it moved to the side of my throat. Then I felt like there was a swollen gland under where my left tonsil would have been. Then I got a slightly tender throat. For about a week, mornings were awful. I woke up dried out, with thick mucous in the back of my throat. Sensation of "something" on the left side by the very back of my tongue. Itching ears. Tender under the jaw. Then the tender "gland" (or what I think might have been a gland) went away and after another week, the sensation of "something" went away too. Then I had another round of "allergy" attacks and the sensation came back along with the dripping, feeling like swelling on that side of my throat. Then the attacks subsided, no more sneezing, drying up of the constant drip. Then the other night I had felt completely normal for two days when I ate a boxed pizza. About 10 minutes into eating, I started getting intense itching on the back sides of my throat (former tonsil/ear area) and all these swollen patches popped up and this lump grew in minutes on the roof of my mouth. Turns out it was a blister. My left eye started itching like I had chicken pox in it. It was the tear duct and it bothered me all night. But now the sensation of "something" in the back/side of my throat is back. But it moves around from day to day. Sometimes it's the left side by the tongue, other days it's up higher where the nasal cavity drains into the throat. I've even had it on the right side, though predominantly on the left. And the morning throat irritation, too. And the itching nose. I don't think it's a coincidence that every time I have these "attacks" I get this weird sensation. Sometimes I think it's partly related to dryness because drinking a lot of fluid sometimes resolves the "sensation" altogether, though sometimes it doesn't. I did have a horrible ear infection on the left side the entire month of December and into January and it just didn't want to go away no matter what I treated it with. It's driving me nuts and I guess I was hoping to hear if anyone else had similar experiences or if they thought these were separate issues. I've never had allergies before and I don't believe I'm sick because of the lack of itching and nasal congestion in the morning.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 26th, 2018
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. These are all associated symptoms of rhinitis and sequelae.treatment is symptomatic and supportive and needs nothing to worry about.Home remedies are the best.

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
What causes allergies? We review risk factors and common allergens in this intro to allergies section....
What causes an allergy? Who is more likely to develop allergies? More here....
Which allergy symptoms are serious signs of allergic reaction and which are merely bothersome? Common types of allergy symptoms and allergic reactions here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Allergies , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.