Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

can a renal stone prove a danger to life while i am onboard?

User Profile
I am a merchant navy officer.i undergo a medical test everytime i join a new ship. I was diagnosed with a renal stone 6 months ago.I have 4 mm stone that doesnot feature in a ct scan. But appears in the ultrasound.what this could possibly be?is it stone or is it anything else?do i need to undergo any form of surgery for this?can this thing prove a danger to life while i am onboard?please reply asap.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 6th, 2012
Kidney Conditions Answer A35760
Welcome to E health Forum.

You have not mentioned whether you had any form of symptoms due to the stone, you already have.

Though Renal stones cause severe disturbances of life due to the pain, they are not that serious to affect the alround health. But on the long term, presence of urinary obstruction due to stones in strategic locations can end up damaging the kidneys.

Most kidney stones less than 6 mm in size that is 70-80% of stones can be treated conservatively. If pain, nausea and vomiting, infection can be controlled, most of these stones will pass spontaneously. Adequate hydration is needed while trying to pass a kidney stone.

Because stones form by the crystallization of one or more substances in the urine which exist in high concentrations, increased fluid intake will decrease the chance of stone formation by maintaining a high urinary output and by diluting the urine. There are no strict recommendations with regards to the number of glasses of fluid to drink, however, the goal should be to achieve a urine output of greater than two liters per day. Stones that are less than 5 millimeters in size have a high chance (90%) of passing through the urinary tract spontaneously with hydration being the only therapy.

But Larger stones (>6 millimeters) have a lower chance of passing on their own and often need surgical intervention.

Since the renal stone detected in your kidneys is 4 mm, the chances of it being passed in the urine is very high, unless it is impacted within the renal tissue.

You may consult with your doctor or a urologist who can examine your scan reports and provide specific advice and help.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kidney Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.