Medical Questions > Nutrition > Nutrition Forum

Can a person use calcium supplement life long?

User Profile
Hi,
My query is regarding supplements, specially calcium supplement. I am lactose intolerant therefore cannot use dairy products, whenevery i tried to use milk, i suffered from loose motion. I use calcium tablets 500mg twice a day. I am an internet savvy and through that i came to know that for my age group i need 1200 mg calcium daily and the safe upper limit is 2500 mg. I am 27 years old. I would like to know that using these calcium supplements on daily basis is okay or not, is there any side effects of these supplements.Can a person use calcium supplement life long.

Thanks
Sahil

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 13th, 2015
Nutrition Answer A51764
Hello and welcome

I appreciate your concern

Although milk is an excellent source of calcium , but it is not the only source
Leafy green veggies like spinach and kale ,Legumes and beans ,Sardines.
Fortified foods, like soy , orange juice,
Salmon with soft bones ,Sesame seed etc also have adequate calcium.

If you cant use dairy products due to lactose intolerance , you can easily get your required calcium from these.

Instead of taking life long supplements. I would recommend natural source of calcium.

Yes , excess of calcium can be harmful. It can result in kidney stones and increases risk of vascular disorders such as heart attack and stroke.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
What is the medical definition of obesity? How is obesity different than being overweight. Basic medical facts on obesity here....
We review the simple cause of obesity here, and help you evaluate whether or not you are at risk of becoming obese. ...
Click here for basic signs of weight gain, and information on when to seek medical help if you think that you are becoming overweight....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Nutrition , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.