Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

can a girl get pregnant without penetration

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
Can a girl get t even if there is was no penetration was happeneD?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper yesohyes
|

User Profile
replied December 3rd, 2012
Especially eHealthy
kiara_9896,

It would be extremely rare and difficult for a woman to get pregnant without having her partner ejaculate deep inside the vagina. In some rare cultural practices, men ejaculate outside of the woman, but then manually place the semen deep into the vagina. In some women with fertility problems, semen is placed manually during in vitro fertilization procedures. Somehow, the semen has to get inside of the woman.

While it only takes one sperm to actually fertilize the egg, it takes millions of sperm to breakdown the corona (barrier) on the outside of the egg.

So, if there is no penetration and ejaculation, it is difficult to get enough sperm to the egg, for fertilization to occur.

If sperm is deposited on the outside of a woman’s genitals, first they would have to survive being outside of the body. Sperm are not very hardy and die quickly outside of the body.

But, if they did survive, they would have to find the vaginal opening, enter it, then swim all the way up the vagina. The sperm would have to then find the cervical opening and penetrate the cervix. Once inside the uterus, they have to go all the way across the uterus to find the Fallopian tubes. Since the egg only comes down one of the Fallopian tubes each month, the sperm would have to select the correct one (50-50) chance. Then, the millions of sperm would have to travel up the Fallopian tube to meet up with the egg.

So, you can see, unless millions of sperm are deposited deep within the vagina, it is almost impossible to get pregnant.

Thus, if a woman is pregnant, she has had unprotected sexual intercourse (most likely) or somehow a large quantity of fresh semen has been manually placed inside of her (as with in vitro fertilization).

If there was no penetration and ejaculation, the chance of pregnancy is basically zero.

Good luck.
|

replied December 4th, 2012
Thank u for d reply.
But y it is said that Sometimes foreplay ca also get a girl pregnant
|

User Profile
replied December 4th, 2012
Especially eHealthy
kiara_9896,

These are just stories. Mostly put out by parents who do not want their children having sex at early ages.

There is no way that such things as kissing, fondling, "dry humping", mutual masturbation, fingering, the penis brushing past the lady's privates, or oral sex (or foreplay) will ever result in pregnancy.

Again, these are just stories to scare young people from doing something that might ruin their lives.

It is very easy to get caught up in the moment and the fondling and mutual masturbation turns into full blown unprotected sexual intercourse. So, if you are about to become sexually active or already are, get some protection. See a physician and get on some birth control pills, or have some condoms handy. An unwanted pregnancy is just not worth it.

Good luck.
|

replied October 9th, 2013
Please help
|

replied December 5th, 2012
|

replied December 9th, 2012
The link provided and the reply above are totally contradictory. Please tell which is correct.

Thanking in advance
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
kiara_9896,

Actually, they same the same thing, just that the emphasis with the NHS link is to scare you into using contraception.

The first line of the NHS link states: “Yes, although the risk of getting pregnant in this way is VERY LOW. If you want to avoid getting pregnant, you should use contraception.”

While I stated, “It would be extremely rare and difficult for a woman to get pregnant without having her partner ejaculate deep inside the vagina.”

The NHS is perpetuating a myth that was made up decades ago, when it was thought that only one sperm was necessary to get pregnant. Many people still believe that it takes only one sperm, one lucky sperm, to swim all the way up the vagina, through the cervix, across the uterus, pick the correct Fallopian tube (50-50 chance), swim all the way up the correct Fallopian tube, to meet up with the egg, at exactly the right time during a young lady’s cycle, to cause pregnancy.

This is not true!!!!!!

It is now known that it actually takes millions of sperm to actually succeed in getting the job done. This is why men with low sperm counts have great difficulty getting their partners pregnant.

It used to be thought that the millions of sperm were needed because so many of them went up the wrong Fallopian tube, and many of them died before reaching the egg, so by having millions, it increased the odds.

But, now it is also known, that one sperm cannot, repeat cannot, break through the outside barrier on the egg by itself. It has to have the help of thousands and thousands of other sperm also attaching the outside of the egg, so that one lucky sperm can finally penetrate the corona radiata (the outside barrier of the egg) to fertilize the egg.

There was a photograph published several years ago, which showed all of these sperm trying to burrow their way into an egg. After this was captured, it was found that they were not just competing to get into the egg first, but that all of them were necessary to provide enzymes to break down the corona, so that one sperm could finally break through to fertilize the egg.

So, once again, it is impossible for one solitary sperm to cause pregnancy. It is just not physiologically possible.

If you ask your physician, and really pin him/her down on the subject, he/she will tell you that it does actually take millions of sperm to get the job done.

However, the message put out by the NHS is a good one, if you do not want to get pregnant, use contraception. Get on birth control or have some condoms handy (and use them). It is so easy to get caught up in the moment and end up going all the way. Then, you will have a change of getting pregnant.

But, again, it is a perpetuation of a myth that one sperm can cause pregnancy. It cannot happen. This comes from a day and age, when it was thought that it only took on lucky sperm to meet up with the egg to get pregnant. This, in the past few years, has been proven incorrect.

Also, never in the past, nor now, could kissing, oral sex, dry humping, or fondling of breasts ever cause pregnancy.

And, it is now known that fondling (even if there is some pre-ejaculate on the fingers), fingering (again with some pre-ejaculate on them), the penis brushing passed the vagina, etc, also cannot cause pregnancy. If it were to ever occur it would be a miracle of modern medicine, because it has never happened in the past. And, if you can prove that someone has gotten pregnant this way, it would be of great interest to all of the medical personnel studying this. Because, it is always, “well, I heard of this girl”, or “well, I read in the magazine”, but no one has ever actually gotten pregnant in this way.

Unless the male has an impossibly high sperm count (in the hundreds of trillions of sperm per cc) which no man has anywhere in the world, and the sperm were in some way resistant to drying out (which kills them), which none are, there is no way that a girl will get pregnant from these activities.

But, again, if you do not want to get pregnant, USE CONTRACEPTION. That is the bottom line.
|

Extract from the linked site:

"Its possible for you to get pregnant without having sexual intercourse (penetration) if, for example:

sperm get into your vagina, for example, if you or your partner have semen or pre-ejaculate on your fingers and touch your vagina
your partner ejaculates near your vagina
your partners erect penis comes into contact with your body near your vagina

The risk of getting pregnant in this way is very low because sperm can only live for a short time outside the body. However, if youre not planning a pregnancy, its important to know that its possible to get pregnant in this way."

The linked site is, I understand, supplied by the National Health Service, the main public health services provider in the U.K. run by the U.K. government. I do not know where the information supplied by any other poster comes from. YOU must decide which advice you will believe and follow.

Good luck.
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
kiara_9896,

Again, the bottom line in this discussion is, if you do not want to get pregnant, use contraception. That IS the bottom line.

However, if you want information from educational, medical, and scientific sources, the following three basically all say the same thing:

From Dr. Charles Lindemann, out of Oakland University (Rochester, Michigan):

How many sperm is enough to cause pregnancy?

This question always comes up in regard to human fertility. If it takes only one sperm to fertilize and egg, why does a low sperm count make a man infertile? A fertile male human ejaculates between 2 and 5 mililiters(ml) of semen (on average about a teaspoon). In each ml there are normally about 100 million sperm. If the concentration falls below 20 million sperm per mililiter there is usually some trouble with fertility. Twenty million still seems to be a lot, so why the problem?

Only a small fraction of the sperm deposited deep in the woman's vagina end up in the uterus. From those that make it to the uterus, only a small fraction of those find their way to the oviducts. Usually the egg is all the way up at the other end of the oviduct(fallopian tube). Of those that are in the oviduct only a small fraction make their way from the lower to the upper oviduct. So, in fact, the number of sperm successfully arriving at where the egg is located is actually very small.

Another problem is that the egg is not just waiting to be fertilized by the first sperm to come along. The egg is usually covered by a thick layer of cells called the corona radiata that serve as a blockade to restrict sperm from getting into the egg. Sperm cells contain enzymes that break this barrier down. It may actually require an assault of many sperm to break down the corona sufficiently to let one sperm get through to the egg.

The following is taken from an Anatomy 101 Course Sylabus:

If sperm are deposited deep in a female's vagina at the approximate time of ovulation, they are attracted to the oocyte (egg) by chemicals that act as "homing devices", allowing them to locate the oocyte. It takes 1 to 2 hours for sperm to complete the journey from the uterus up to the fallopian tube, and if an oocyte is en route in the tube, fertilization is a distinct possibility.

When the swarming sperm reach the oocyte, hundreds of their acrosomes rupture, releasing enzymes that break down the "cement" that holds the follicle cells of the corona radiate together around the oocyte. Once the path has been cleared and a single sperm makes contact with the oocyte's membrane receptor, its head (nucleus) is pulled into the oocyte cytoplasm.

This is one case that does NOT bear out the adage 'the early bird catches the worm'. A sperm that comes along later, after virtually thousands of sperm have undergone acrosomal reactions to expose the oocyte membrane, is in THE best position to be the fertilizing sperm.

The following is taken from: "Embryology Atlas", Chapter 28: Human Development
Pearson Education, Inc.,

During coitus (sexual intercourse), a male ejaculates between 100 million and 500 million sperm deep into the vagina (typically about 200 million). This tremendous number is needed because of the high rate of sperm fatality. Very few, perhaps only several thousand, enter the uterine tube and fewer than 1000 survive to reach the ampulla. Therefore, males are functionally sterile if they have a sperm count below 20 million/ml because too few spermatozoa survive to reach the secondary oocyte. One or two spermatozoa cannot complete fertilization because of the condition of the secondary oocyte at ovulation (the presence of the corona radiate).

When a sperm encounters a secondary oocyte in the uterine tube, an acrosomal reaction occurs that exposes the digestive enzymes of the acrosome and allows a sperm to penetrate the corona radiata and zona pellucida. Hundredes of spermatozoa must release hyaluronidase before the intercellular cement between the follicular cells in the corona radiata break down sufficiently to permit fertilization.

I can go on and site many, many more medical and educational sources, that show that is takes millions of sperm to cause fertilization of an egg. That one sperm, or even several hundred sperm, by themselves, just cannot get the job done.

So, you can continue to believe the propaganda put out by persons who are not reading the current medical literature and are perpetuating myths that were developed decades ago (when it was not know that it actually took millions of sperm to get the job done, when it was thought that it only took one sperm meeting up with the egg to cause pregnancy).

Basically, the NHS is trying to scare young people into not having sex and to use contraception, which is actually a good idea. But, not by putting forth information that is outdated.

So Kiara, it is up to you. Read the scientific literature out there, make up your own mind as to what you are going to believe.

But, again, if you do not want to get pregnant, USE CONTRACPTION.
|

replied February 13th, 2013
the correct thing is to become pregnet successfully penitration is required
|

replied May 10th, 2013
YES YOU CAN BECOME PREGNANT WITHOUT PENETRATION
Whoever asked this question (and future viewers) listen to me. I am LIVING PROOF that you CAN get pregnant without penetration. I was TRYING to have sex and became very pregnant at 16. Vagina and penis were in contact but no penetration. I BECAME PREGNANT. PERIOD. All it takes is one egg and some sperm. PERIOD. If you do not want to become pregnant,use protection!
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied July 25th, 2013
Can you please help me? I'm troubled for these past few days. It happened yesterday. I ejaculated outside her and rested for 10 minutes. after that, for the first time, I inserted my penis to her(srry for the term) and I didn't even go deep because she says it hurts so I stopped. I'm now worried because I felt that I had pre-ejaculation. I'm now scared of her becoming pregnant. Can you please help me?
|

replied April 24th, 2014
Period or implantation bleeding
Hi I was wondering if you can help.. my boyfriend has always fingered me and I have never fallen pregnant, we do not have intercourse because we do not feel like its the right time to have a baby. I had a chest infection and was prescribed predisolone, which i have never had before until now. I got this three days before I was due, apparently it says it can cause irregularities or periods stopping completely in women, three days later I was over due, I freaked out and become really stressed so I took a test to find out if I was and it came back negative, I then took another one its still negative. I have been on this medication for five days but the day I stopped taking was the day I experienced bleeding, so I'm wondering if the predisolone has caused this or this is implantation bleeding but its funny how this has never affected me before and the month that I take predisolone which Ive never had before and the very same day i do not take it i have some bleeding, i was just wondering the liklihood of becoming pregnant through fingering or is the predisolone more likely to cause the irregularities that i have been experiencing thank you so so much
|

replied June 18th, 2014
What happened?
|

replied July 19th, 2014
Helpfull
|
Tags: pregnant
Quick Reply