Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Brain and Head Injuries Forum

Caffeine and Alcohol Sensitivity Post-Concussion

Hey! I originally received my concussion at the end of October by being punched in the head several times (martial arts injury). I still cannot exercise to my fullest extent (I can't run longer than a minute.) or else I get a headache. I'm slowly recovering though.

I've noticed that after one glass of champagne, wine or almost any other alcohol, I get a major headache around my left temple.
I think it is similar to caffeine but I get a headache towards the back of my head for caffeine.

How common is it to develop a sensitivity post concussion to alcohol and caffeine? Will it ever go away or do I need to learn to cope with it? (Caffeine is much harder to give up - I'm a student)
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 17th, 2014
Thank you for consulting e health forum. I don't think head injury could make you sensitive to alcohol or caffeine. Caffeine usually does not cause much headache. Even caffeine withdrawal headaches are rather mild and don't last longer than a day or two. Alcohol related strong temporal headaches are almost exclusively a privilege of cluster headaches which may develop after head injuries. If you are a smoker the chance is even higher. Considering you have other symptoms you should have a brain MRI if you did not have it yet. If you want more specifics, request an online consultation on my web site, it is free. By Andre Strizhak

Providing Top Neurology Services in the New York area. Excellence in treating headaches, dizziness, and head pain.
|

replied October 27th, 2017
Alcohol and caffeine post concussion
Caffeine and alcohol make me extremely dizzy, lightheaded, and foggy post concussion, I disagree with the professional reply, I think this is very common and my meager medical background has helped me understand why, it is because both alcohol and caffeine are stimulants for the brain and cause dehydration and decreased blood flow to the brain, in the case of an injury this would be detrimental to add an irritant while the body is trying to heal itself. I've found for me ,small amounts of caffeine are fine but if I try something like espresso or coffee (between 60-100 mg) I experience the symptoms I listed above. When it comes to alcohol I no longer got a "hangover" post concussion after going out with friends having 1 too many, I got severe symptoms of vertigo and could hardly move the following day, this had previously never happened to me ,as I'm only 26 and have excellent bloodwork and a good diet! I've currently stopped drinking completely and consuming coffee. I don't know yet if I will ever be able to consume them again, but I look on the Brightside ,they are both toxic and extremely dehydrating and my body will thrive better without them, hope this helps!
|
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Brain and Head Injuries , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.